Can the New iPad 3G be used as a phone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pectin232, Mar 27, 2012.

1. pectin232 macrumors 6502

by using Skype? or is there any way of making the iPad 'more' like a phone. I thought with the 3G, I can discard my phone and use the iPad3 as a phone... since if I am unable to receive calls.. it will go to voice mails anyway.

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you can definitely Skype via the iPad. It's pretty awesome. If you want to make free calls in the US, try Nettalk. Won't in be awkward taking the iPad everywhere with you?

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

would be awkward talking on it without a headset for sure, but i take my ipad most place with me. kinda defeats the point of my iphone i guess ;)

4. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Well every iPad could be used as a "phone" by using Skype or something similar. Just required a data/wifi connection. They all have mics. The only difference with this or the iPad 2 is that you can also have cellular data in addition to Wifi which just means more always on data so you would theoretically miss less Skype calls since your iPad is more often connected.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm sure it could be, just don't hold it up to your face.

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Use a bluetooth headset or headset for comms. I just feel that the size isn't conducive to be travel friendly as a phone type device but I can definitely see how it would work. I do some Skype and nettalk via the iPad because it's good for international comms but the same can be done on the iPhone. If you have both, you have more battery life to use. The battery in the iPad is by no means small but it may suck down more juice to do voice comms though.