Can the old iPhone 2G be used on the AT&T family plan?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
My wife and I already have iPhones with AT&T. I'd like to add a third line and have my original iPhone from back in the day.
Would AT&T legitimately allow me to add a line with this iPhone at the $9.95 a month family plan (without data)?
I called AT&T but was placed on perpetual hold...

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Any way of doing so with AT&T knowing it's the iPhone2G? I thought I'd read where AT&T no longer requires data on the original iPhone (?).

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
It's not mandatory for the original so they won't automatically add it. You're good to go :) Just make sure to have data blocked for that line before you switch

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Any way of doing so with AT&T knowing it's the iPhone2G? I thought I'd read where AT&T no longer requires data on the original iPhone (?).
Doesn't matter if they know or not ... they won't require it for that iPhone. :)

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Doesn't matter if they know or not ... they won't require it for that iPhone. :)
Thanks, I'll take it in tomorrow and have the sim replaced and cell service added.
(IF it ends up being anything different than what's been posted in this thread I'll detail it then.)

antseg

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
New Jersey
My mom actually did this. After a few days AT&T's website for our family plan actually updated it to the 2G (along with the picture). Nothing else changed, it just had all the information of the phone she was using rather than her old Blackberry.

Also it defaulted to no data plan with the option to increase. So you shouldn't have to do anything about that, either.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
UPDATE!
It worked. AT&T has no issues with offering a SIM for the old iPhone and placing it on a family plan at $9.95 (no data).

snchpnz

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah, my mother started using my original iPhone after her old flip phone finally croaked. I just switched the sim cards and it was good to go. AT&T shows that she's using an iPhone on their website but no data plan required.