Can the old iPhone 2G be used on the AT&T family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Mar 11, 2012.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

My wife and I already have iPhones with AT&T. I'd like to add a third line and have my original iPhone from back in the day.
    Would AT&T legitimately allow me to add a line with this iPhone at the $9.95 a month family plan (without data)?
    I called AT&T but was placed on perpetual hold...

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Yeah, just add a line using a dumbphone and switch the sim to the original iPhone.

3. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Any way of doing so with AT&T knowing it's the iPhone2G? I thought I'd read where AT&T no longer requires data on the original iPhone (?).

4. forcetactic macrumors 6502

It's not mandatory for the original so they won't automatically add it. You're good to go :) Just make sure to have data blocked for that line before you switch

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

All smartphones require data plans on At&t

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Doesn't matter if they know or not ... they won't require it for that iPhone. :)

7. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Thanks, I'll take it in tomorrow and have the sim replaced and cell service added.
    (IF it ends up being anything different than what's been posted in this thread I'll detail it then.)

8. antseg macrumors member

My mom actually did this. After a few days AT&T's website for our family plan actually updated it to the 2G (along with the picture). Nothing else changed, it just had all the information of the phone she was using rather than her old Blackberry.

Also it defaulted to no data plan with the option to increase. So you shouldn't have to do anything about that, either.

9. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

UPDATE!
    It worked. AT&T has no issues with offering a SIM for the old iPhone and placing it on a family plan at $9.95 (no data).

10. snchpnz macrumors member

Yeah, my mother started using my original iPhone after her old flip phone finally croaked. I just switched the sim cards and it was good to go. AT&T shows that she's using an iPhone on their website but no data plan required.