Can the order of albums be changed in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by entropycity, Jan 18, 2010.

1. entropycity macrumors newbie

I have put four CD's into iTunes but the albums appear out of order in iTunes (ie 2,1,3,4). Is there any way I can re-organise the 4 albums into the correct order - for example by dragging one above the other in iTunes?

The album which appears first in the list (album 2) has been given a slightly different name (not by me!) from the other three!

Thanks, entropycity.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can rename the albums yourself by highlighting all the songs in a given album and "Get Info" (Command I). Making a change in any of the metadata fields will affect all the selected files.

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

miles01110's suggestion can solve it. Most of the time, I change the tags using Get Info whenever I import a CD.
    Here are some tips:
    • iTunes will usually sort Albums by the same Artist alphabetically. One way to get around this is to place a "number" in front of the Album name. If you're into Korean pop music, you're probably already used to this. :D If you'd rather preserve the album name, then see the next tip.
    • Another way is to make sure the Year field is filled in properly in Get Info, then click on the "Albums" heading in the Library until it changes to Albums By Year. The resulting list will then be sorted first by artist (or Album Artist) name, then by album in order of release year.

By now, you've probably figured out that drag and drop won't work. That's because iTunes is a pseudo-database rather than a spreadsheet.