Can the Original iPhone be Carrier Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob616, Apr 9, 2012.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

I have an original iPhone and I went through the process of having AT&T unlock it. I received the email that said my phone is unlocked however after I restored it I never got the confirmation message in iTunes saying that my phone is unlocked and when I put a vodaphone sim inside the phone it gives me this message in iTunes, "The Sim card inserted into this iPhone does not appear to be supported"

2. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

The original iPhone can be permanently unlocked unofficially. You don't need AT&T's help.

3. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, but I don't want to jailbreak it. I feel that it makes the iPhone slower.

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Jailbreak it, unlock it, then restore. The unlock's permanent - it'll be retained even if you restore.

I do think the original iPhone can be unlocked though. I think UK carriers offer unlocks for the iPhone 2G; stands to reason that AT&T can too. Call AT&T and ask what happened. Might be worth calling Apple too.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Indeed it can.

Normally putting an "invalid SIM" (i.e. not-AT&T) into the phone when it's connected to iTunes should trigger the unlock process, but AT&T keeps saying that you have to restore the device to do it.

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I swear, I didn't know that and it never occurred to me.
    Thanks for the info.