Can the quality of journalism get any lower?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by unlinked, Jan 6, 2017.

1. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Granted it hasn't been great lately. Pretty sure most of them don't proofread articles let alone use editors or check facts but this must be a new low.

[​IMG]

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

3. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Case in point:
    SAD!

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

ahahah

5. twietee, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Hahaha, Breitbart supposedly (since I sure as **** don't read them) ran a story of ~1000 (!) dudes setting a church in Germany on new years eve in flames and everybody here was wondering what they were talking about. If that's your preferred "journalism"...good riddance.

6. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Well, I guess the publisher is very much confused about their gender identity.

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Curch?

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Well, I wouldn't hold the Washington Post to the same (low) standard of Breitbart... but what the OP posted is funny!

9. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Yes, a c(h)urch!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2017 ---
    I didn't read the article - so my post was not meant regarding the quality of the WaPo, which I have no clue about to be honest. I (try to) read the New Yorker, and think that that's fine journalism and also funny/entertaining, and that's about all from over the pond (and sometimes glance at the NYT mag they put into our newspaper once a week).

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

And you want us to take lectures about sourcing journalism from you?

[​IMG]

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

GLAD!

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It's not the article, it's the picture. That symbol is the one for males ;)

13. twietee, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I know ;)
    But from glancing over it I didn't see whether it was some kind of aerial shot from some kind of march or a photoshop done by the paper itself (which would be ridiculous on their behalf). Since that is some idiotic mistake, but unintentional, I wasn't too interested in it to actually pay much attention to it. Whatever. I have much more problems myself with the intentional misinformation nowadays than a sloppy mishap (which can be funny of course ;)).
    What lecture are you waffeling about? But that's some low hanging fruit right there - good riddance to you too. :)

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

yeah it's not a big deal, just funny ;)

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As a 25+ year graphic designer, I would be incredibly embarrassed to have made that mistake.
    I'm guessing photoshop over a set up photo. The arrow looks like an add-on.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Photo credit is bottom right...

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The credit could be for the photo before it was reworked and added to. It's just a guess. But having recently played a part in creating a giant peace sign with 300-400 students, shooting something like that is an immense effort. I find it far more likely that they started with a photo of a crowd and just cut out people until they got the circle, and then added the arrow.

But one thing I would like to add regarding the idea that this is the lowest form of journalism ... There are so many worse forms, from defamation to hatchet jobs, to making up facts, etc. This is just an embarrassment. Nobody is going to suffer because they got the symbol wrong.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right. The graphic designer screwed up the symbol for the female gender. But, that's a far cry from, for instance, conservative outlets pushing the idea that a terrorist training camp is in Nuevo Leon, just south of El Paso, and that Arabic signs are posted in Mexico directing ISIS agents to the U.S.-Mexico border.

The Washington Post's screw up on a virus-laden laptop connected to the Vermont electrical network is a much more significant failure.