Can The SD Card Slot of Late 2009 iMac Be Upgraded to The New SDHC of Mid 2010 iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by solman, Aug 7, 2010.

1. solman macrumors member

Since I use my machine a lot for photo work, this new feature on the refresh was nice. Question is does anyone know if it's easy to swap the card reader out of the 2009's for the new SDHC reader?

Cheers!

2. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

3. solman thread starter macrumors member

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

The new iMac has an SDXC card reader. It would probably be possible, but I don't know if its soldered to the board or not.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Most likely cheaper to get an external USB SDXC reader if you really think you'll be using cards over 32GB in size.

6. solman thread starter macrumors member

Can someone please confirm if last gen Late 2009 iMacs sd Card slot can read SDHC memory cards?

I'm Refurb destined and am hoping that the pre-refresh SD card reader can read a 8Gig Card.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...call Apple before you order, the descriptions don't really say in the refurb store but that would be pretty pointless for apple to include standard SD card readers in any of these machines...I can't remember the last time I used any of my 1 or 2 Gb SD cards...

8. iMac321 macrumors newbie

Yes, it does
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

SDHC has been the standard for several years now, although often only marketed as SD cards. SD cards had a limit of 1 or 2GB, and the last three years I've yet to see an old SD card. SDHC currently supports upto 32GB so SDXC would probably not take over for SDHC yet.

10. cube macrumors G5

SD's official limit is 2GB, but there are borderline cards that are bigger than that (of course, FAT16 is limited to 2GB, so many older cameras cannot use them fully, while there are some that cannot format them as FAT32 but will happily accept them preformatted).

There are also some old cameras that do not take SDHC than can format such big "SD" cards as FAT32.

11. solman thread starter macrumors member

iMac 321 Thanks a million for digging that info up from apple support.

My 8 in 1 USB card reader has SD slot BUT it cannot read SDHC. I had to buy another USB reader. So your news is great. The Late 2009 iMacs SD slot does SDHC and takes the advantage of the refresh's new SDXC slot away. I don't foresee needing 32 GB cards for some time.