Can the SSD be used for as many apps or media files as space permits?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docprego, Jan 13, 2008.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

What I mean is being that the SDK is coming there are sure to be many great apps we will want to install on our iPhones. Does the iPhone use its SSD for whatever you choose to put on it up to the limit of space it has available? For arguments sake lets say I wanted nothing but every app ever made for it and that filled up the entire 8GB SSD with no room for anything else. Would the iPhone allow this? I realize this is a dramatization but I was curious if we could install as many apps as we like.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

At the moment, the disk is partitioned into approx 300mb for the OS and built in apps and the rest for media, etc. The 300mb partition is also mounted as read only in the mount table so it can't be changed, and I believe the media partition is mounted as noexec so apps can't be run from it (the jailbreaking changes these attributes)
    When the SDK comes, this will have to change because the out of the box partition layout doesn't allow for user installed applications, but I don't think anyone really knows how this will be changed and what the percentages will be. I suspect they'll leave the OS partition read only to protect the built in apps but will allow applications to be installed on the rest of the space. This is only a guess though!