Can the watch CONNECT to the phone via Wifi?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CreativeName, May 12, 2015.

1. CreativeName macrumors member

Is the only option of connecting your phone to your watch via Bluetooth? I know you can do limited things on the watch alone via Wifi, but I'm talking full connection to the phone.... is that ONLY through Bluetooth?

When I turn my Bluetooth off, even though I'm connected to Wifi, I get the red icon that says I'm disconnected from my phone and I have limited functions.

2. swandy macrumors regular

When I turn off Bluetooth on my iPhone, I do not get the "watch disconnect" icon. And I can still access information and apps on the Watch - though updated information (like weather, NY Times, etc.) do seem to take longer than when they are connected via Bluetooth.
    From what I have read, the Watch/iPhone connection cannot be totally dependent on Wifi. Connecting to a known Wifi network - like your home or office network that is known to your iPhone - is intended to extend the range beyond the normal 20-30 feet of Bluetooth.

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

well from what i read the watch uses bluetooth , and once out of bluetooth range , it uses wifi. the apple watch cannot connect to a wifi network on its own, it needs the iPhone to assist it in connecting to wifi.

i heard telephone requires bluetooth connectivity, and messages can work without bluetooth as long as you have wifi