Can they really cancel our unlimited data plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by srcampana, Sep 26, 2012.

1. srcampana macrumors member

So, I have AT&T and want to switch to Verizon but I don't want to lose my unlimited data. After reading TONS on the forums, a lot of people keep saying they switched one way or the other because they think "eventually we'll all be kicked off unlimited data." Can they do this? Naive question, maybe, but an honest one. Verizon just has better service in LA (and other places I travel) than AT&T. Plus, my "4G" data speeds are atrocious on AT&T (as in slower than VZW's 3G). Thanks. :apple:

2. iamjose macrumors regular

Why not try Sprint? Their 3g has been upgraded this week in LA with something called NV (NetworkVision), and they said 4g LTE will be up by the end of October?

The 3g speeds have really increase since I got my iPhone 5, and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the 4g LTE.

3. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

Well they do give you 14 days to return it ;)

As for the OP, Im sure AT&T can and will at some point eliminate the remain unlimited users. Whether it be via restricting everything til people switch, jump carriers, or just plain remove them entirely. Im sure the next move will copy VZW in not letting users upgrade with a unlimited plan for a subsidized price regardless of contract maturity. AT&T does not and never will care what their customers think. As long as people keep paying their bill every month.

4. indianboynyc macrumors regular

if AT&T did that, I'd be an unlimited sprint customer the same second

5. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

AT&T and Verizon can easily cancel your unlimited data at any time once your contract is over. They can simply require you to move to a tiered/shared plan to retain service. Verizon has went the easier root and making you change with a subsudized upgrade. That will take care of most peoples.

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

They could also do it for current contracts. They'd have to let you cancel your account with no early termination fee, but that still wouldn't bring back your unlimited data.

7. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Yes, although terms of service contract won't allow you to change your contract.... they can change your contract at any time, but they have to let you opt out of the changes.

8. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Yes for a lot of people who bought the iPhone 5 outright they could see a change in their plans next year if the carriers wish to do so when they are out of conctract. Which means they spent >$500 for a few months of unlimited.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

With all of this said, I don't see Verizon taking away unlimited as long as your paying retail for your phones. The amount of people willing to do this is tiny and the amount of bad publicity if they did would far outweigh that. The real question is if Verizon will start throttling like AT&T. No one on AT&T really has unlimited, they have 3GB/5GB plans. I'm sorry but if your throttled to 100kbps that's an unusable connection.

10. srcampana thread starter macrumors member

Very true. Is that what AT&T throttles you at with LTE? I thought maybe they would just force you into HSPA+ speeds, which for me are painfully slow anyway.

I could never get Sprint after witnessing everyone I know who has them borrow other peoples' phones to make calls.

AT&T shows bars in places but actually being able to make/receive calls and send/receive texts is a different thing. Then there's the fact that I've literally had side by side comparisons of a 4S on AT&T HSPA+ vs. a 4S on VZW 3G (right near a cell tower for both) downloading pages, uploading pictures, general surfing, etc. and the VZW 4S is ALWAYS faster. Sometimes, by a lot. That's unnerving.