Can this be done, and what's the best way to do it..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Sep 29, 2012.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I have an at&t iPhone 5 with blazing fast LTE outside Philadelphia. AT&T just flipped the switch ~2 weeks ago, so it hasn't been around for long. So back when the iPad 3 came out I got a Verizon one because they had LTE in my area at the the. I currently pay $30 for month to month data and I'm not under any contract. I should also say that I am a grandfathered unlimited data customer with AT&T.

What I would like to do is eliminate the VZW data for my iPad and tether my at&t iPhone 5 LTE to it. Can It be done? And if so could I do it without losing my unlimited data?

If anyone has any better options for me, I would really appreciate it.

2. bokbchoy macrumors newbie

technically yes it can be done
    all you need to do is to turn off your ipad cellular data and then turn on the iphone 5 tethering thing. Not sure if this is what your asking and if this solution will work. just my two cents

3. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't AT&T change your unlimited plan to a tiered one if you add tethering?

4. doasis23 macrumors regular

doasis23

You cant have unlimited and tethering ATT does not allow it.:mad:

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sure it will work on ATT if you turn off the cellular usage. It will be connecting via wifi, right?

As to plan... not sure.

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The only way to tether on the iPhone is to lose your unlimited plan.

7. snook911 macrumors 6502a

It can be done but the only way to do it and not lose your grandfathered data is to jailbreak. I am grandfathered in as well and as soon as the jailbreak is available I will get My Wii back and be able to tether again. They even have bluetooth tethering available. Its $20 but way worth the money and the jailbreak.