can this be done; tapping an iphone? video

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjandnw, May 21, 2009.

1. bigchief macrumors 6502a

2. stutzedward macrumors newbie

this is scarry, even when the fone is not being used....they can still listen to us!

3. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Just another reason for getting a CCW in 6 months. November can't get here fast enough.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You have to install the software on it, which would mean for the methods shown, you'd need to have a jailbroken phone, presumably?
    Would the extra info show up on teh usre's cell phone bill anyway?

5. bbrosen macrumors newbie

Very real

One would be amazed at what is able to be done. The Fbi for one uses this software.It can be downloaded to the phone remotely. You can also listen in on the mic even when the phone is powered off! The Military can and does listen in to all conversations via landlines, radio and cellular real time. They can even tell what you type on your keyboard remotely.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Radiation from normal screens, that can be picked up to recreate whats on the screen is another one - technology has been out there for a while.

7. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Although the tapping and cloning of phones is not uncommon, and it is known that nearly all communication is monitored and recorded, with what your proposing, would mean that in the military, is a massive call centre with enough staff to listen to the millions of phone calls made by US phone users at the same time in real time. I think not!

Now having the ability to do something like that is possible, and is more than likely done, and I would hate to think about the HDD capacity on those servers. Just think about the poor begger that's got to maintain them as well.

8. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Your tinfoil hat is lose ;)
    ECHELON (i think this is what your referring to) has been spoken about for decades. I'd bet under the guise of Home Land security th
    .... no carrier

9. bbrosen macrumors newbie

To be clear, they have the ability to do this and do so on a daily basis. They do not have a call center that monitors all communications 24/7. Nor do gjey store all this either not sure why you thought all that That is crazy and this is no tin foil hat theory. I know what im talking about. These communications are monitered from airplanes, sats and from the ground from vehicles.

Most civillians know very little the capabilities that are had by our military. It should help you feel safer. Not creepy.

10. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

11. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

Wouldn't the iPhone need to be in jailbreak for this to work on it? Or am I wrong on this point?

12. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I would assume so. But I have also heard of people cloning SIMs/IMEIs so they can listen into calls. Don't know how true that is though.

As a side note, I think Scummy McCreeperson from this post may be interested in it:

Help with saving a copy of my girls texts on iphone

13. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I think yes, since it looks like the software they're referring to needs to be installed on the device and is entirely dependent on that, whereas I was thinking this was some external device they used.

This video is pretty silly, because it's like saying that if someone had physical access to your computer, they could install a keylogger and know all your passwords. Of course this is true, but they hide the fact that physical access to the phone is required. It's all just fear mongering.

14. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Ok, you said this
    which to me, suggests that what I wrote was a sensible interpretation of what you said.

As for suggesting they don't record the conversations, what would be the point of listening if they don't have proof of it later on.

And as for the ability to remotely install software, personally, I don't believe that. Direct phone connection, yeah fine, but remotely....

And as for the tin hat comment, sounds apt, either you are a crackpot, OR you actually do something, in which case I doubt you should be writing it on the Internet...are the men in black suits there yet?

Also, if it were joe smith in the street, then yes, the device I would imagine it would need to be jailbroken. However, if it were "the man" then I doubt they would need Apple approval to install software on an un-jailbroken iPhone.

A good example of a phone that is being targetted a lot, as it's been in the press, is the Nokia 1100, which people are using to steal all kinds of information.

15. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I agree, I think it is fear mongering.

However, check out this article from Wikipedia:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_cloning

16. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

This is my take on it. I feel that 99.9% of people have nothing to worry about. However if you leave any device unattended, someone COULD install monitoring software on it without you knowing.

Also, from what I am aware of, Echelon uses a computer algorithm to pick up key words in conversations. Depending on what you are looking for they could be: bomb, meet, etc. Then it flags, records and stores those convo's.

If the worst thing you say on your mobile is: "I love That 70's Show" (which should cause concern) then you shouldn't be too concerned.
    If, however, you are a criminal or unfaithful partner, you should change your evil ways or be prepared to pay for your sins.

17. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Hey what's wrong with That 70's Show? :confused: Saying "I love American Idol" is what should cause concern.

18. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

I see you and I feel you

19. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Sounds like a reverse reference of the song See Me, Feel Me.

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

21. bbrosen macrumors newbie

having been in the Military, now retired, I was in Comms. So I do know what i speak of. Im not here to convince people of anything, not my job.Just thought I would make some things aware. I know what Im allowed to say and what Im not allowed to say. Anything i have said can be found out with research. Most will not take the time to do it.

none of it is supposed to be sinister, nor top secret as far as the ability. Mostly the How and the equipment.

Firmware updates and etc can be downloaded thru the carrier over the air and it can be done without the customers knowledge. Most of the time a customer knows because he is asked to accept or reject the request to download to their device.

That being said, yes recordings are made of pertinent info or what may be pertinent info. A lot of what is monitored is target specific and not mass random recording and monitoring. I kinda thought the average person here would know this, guess not.

No big conspiracy, been going on for years and will continue to go on. With the crowd that hangs here I really thought most people would know but then again, most here may be really young, probably never been in the Military etc etc.

For perspective, the SR-71 Blackbird built in 1964 had stealth tech, flew at 3.2 mach at 80,000 feet and had the radar image of a door.

Imagine what we have out there today?

22. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I didn't comment on what was permantely retained. I merely commented on the fact that they must record the conversations that are monitored. It does make sense that only the relevant sections are kept for x amount of time. And no, I didn't think that everyone was recorded on mass, I would imagine there would be a number of factors preventing this.

I do however disagree with your comment regarding remote software installation. I would imagine that this is only available on newer devices, and wouldn't be possible on older phones.

I can only imagine what we have today, and to be honest, I imagine it is fairly scary, but, as they say, ignorance is bliss, and I am happy with that

23. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Here is the site that was shown on the video:

http://www.flexispy.com/ They even have it for the iPhone

I like how the video says take your battery out to protect yourself... they don't know the iPhone :D

I have a passcode set for my phone and it locks after 15 mins and when I am out I set it to lock after a 1 min in some cases. I also don't leave my cell phone out in the open.