Can this Iphone be unlocked (Verizon CDMA)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheComposer, Feb 26, 2012.

1. TheComposer, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

TheComposer macrumors member

Hello, I'm from Mexico, and I was planning on selling my CDMA Iphone (Verizon), on Ebay.

I must say that I always used it as an Ipod Touch (Gaming, Wifi, etc) and I have no problems sending it to someone in USA since I live in a frontier city.

Anyway, these are the specs.

Iphone 4 CDMA 16 G

Version 5.0.1 (9A405)

Verizon 11.2

Model MC676LL

Firmware 3.0.03

CLEAN ESN (I checked through a website)

I couldn't unlock it in my country cause the Firmware, so I just wanted to know if I sell it, someone in the US will be able to unlock it with Verizon? That's all, if it's possible, I'll sell it, if not, I'll keep it, thanks!

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Legally you can’t unlock a CDMA iPhone 4 as it requires an “ESN/MEID” (Globally unique number identifying a CDMA mobile station equipment) from a donor phone in service and this is considered as a federal crime in US.

Say you wanted it to work on Sprint, which is another CDMA network, then even if it’s unlocked, you will still need someone on Sprint network to activate it on their system which isn’t exactly a piece of cake.

Also it can't work on AT&T, T-Mobile etc as they use different radios (GSM).

3. TheComposer thread starter macrumors member

Ok I think I used the wrong term, I meant to just activate the phone with Verizon and my current specs, never touched the ESN whatsoever, it used to have an unlockable baseband but I updated it without knowing, so I want to know if right now this phone is usable in Verizon?:rolleyes:

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's called activating. If it's a Verizon device and the ESN is clean then there's no reason that it cannot be activated with Verizon.

^ This. If you want to confirm for certain then go straight to the source. How would we be able to determine for certain?

6. TheComposer thread starter macrumors member

That's true, but you know, usually you ask things in the forum to get answers, for certain!!