Can Time Machine back-up from external to external hds as my internal hd is near full

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rema, Mar 7, 2008.

1. rema macrumors regular

Hi guys i got a 20" c2d 2.16 imac with 250gb internal hard drive which is almost got about 23gb's left, i bought an external hard drive which i am using for time machine, its 320gb. i was planning on buying a 500gb external hard drive, and then copying all my stuff from the internal hard drive onto the existing 320gb hard drive, leaving the internal relatively empty, and hopefully getting time machine to back up to the 500gb external from the 320gb external, is this possible, are there any other solutions,

any help/advice would really be appreciated,

Kind regards

rema

2. rema thread starter macrumors regular

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I believe it can, from my experience using a Mac with multiple external drives connected. In Time Machine's preferences, there will be a list of devices to not back up. Find your external drive in there and uncheck it (it will be checked by default).

4. rema thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, but i want to move the contents of my internal hard drive to my current external, and then only store files on there, then have another external to back up from my existing hard drive not my mac,

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes... this will not interfere with what I said. (Mind you, you can't transfer a Time Machine backup from one drive to another, so you'll have to wipe the drive clean, move your files, then get Time Machine set up to use the other drive.)

6. rema thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks alot for you time and the info,
    i will look into getting a another external drive

cheers rema