Can Verizon iPhone 5 running on AT&T network perform simultaneous voice & data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dvoshen, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Dvoshen macrumors newbie

We all know that Verizon iPhones can't perform simultaneous voice and data on it's own CDMA network. However, now that Verizon's iPhone 5 comes GSM unlocked, will it be able to run simultaneous voice and data if it's running on AT&T's HSPA+ network?

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

3. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Yes, but who would buy a Verizon iPhone 5 just so they could use it on AT&T's network?

4. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

People who get difficult calls and need their call to drop so they can buy some time

5. karsal macrumors member

My understanding is the voice/data multitasking feature is missing completely from the CDMA iPhone, so no.

6. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

On Hspa+ yes you can do voice and data at same time because it uses gsm. So yes vzw iPhone on AT&T will do it.

7. Dvoshen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you PhoenixMac. Sounds like the Verizon version is the better buy!

8. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

It isn't because it doesn't take advantage of the LTE network. CDMA is a dinosaur.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you are going to use it on AT&T then its not.
    If you're using it on AT&T mind as well be able to use their LTE network and not get the verizon version unless you want to use it for Verizon.

10. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Maybe AT&T doesnt have LTE in his area with no plans for anytime soon, and maybe he wants to travel overseas to EU and be able to have a phone that works without getting it unlocked because it comes unlocked.

You never know, it could be a better buy for him, in his situation.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True.
    But I think AT&T will roll lte in most places in under a year.

12. aneftp macrumors 601

Just remember ATT "throttles" data when on voice call.

This has been confirmed multiple times. You will be lucky to get around 500 kpbs-800 kpbs speeds when on "simultaneous voice call when trying to use data.

It's ATT's sneaky way of handling data.

http://thesmartphonechamp.com/att-secretly-throttling-their-smartphone-customers-video/

I called and complained to ATT tier 2 tech support about this and he was "clueless" even though he knew what I was talking about. He tried to give me a stupid excuses about network congestion etc. But I finally said enough....I am techie. Ran speed test at 4AM on Thursday morning with no congestion. He knows it.

Than he said well "ATT really can only say that they can't guarantee speed but in non congested areas you should get 500 kpbs" And that's what the throttling speed is of data during voice calls.

13. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

You cannot assume this. ATT has been trying to increase their LTE coverage for years and look at where they are compared to Verizon. ATT won't come close to Verizon's current coverage for at least 3-4 years, and by that time Verizon will have even more.

14. bogatyr macrumors 65816

The phone hardware is identical - just radio bands/firmware for LTE are different. The reason Verizon and Sprint iPhone 5s don't do it on THEIR networks is because for CDMA V+D you need another antenna which Apple chose not to add.

On a GSM network - regardless of the handset, V+D works. So any of the iPhone 5 models on a GSM network will support V+D.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good thing they have it where I live:)