Can Verizon iPhone be used as GSM for overseas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Jul 18, 2012.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I've been currently on AT&T since forever and I travel internationally from time to time so having a GSM handset is required for me. But lately I am getting fed up with AT&T's shoddy service that I may switch to Verizon when the next iPhone comes out.

Question, will the Verizon iPhone be able to work on GSM networks in other countries? Since verizon uses CDMA, does that mean when I'm currently talking on my phone with someone will I stlil be able to receive notifications since that is coming over data? I heard that is the downside of being on Verizon is that DATA and VOICE cannot work together like on AT&T. That's the only killer for me, is that true?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Verizon needs to unlock it for you. They do this for their customers who are in "good standing". "Good standing" has never really been defined officially, as far as I know, but people were reporting getting unlocks just a few months after buying their phones. You will have to call verizon and request it, though.

3. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

What about my other question about using data and voice simultaneously?

4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

After unlocking my SIM with my Verizon iPhone 4S, I slid a Pelephone GSM sim into the device upon landing in Israel. Not only did I get simultaneous voice/data (just like any other GSM phone), but I also had Hotspot enabled so I was able to use it to tether. I didn't realize it but the Pelephone SIM came with hotspot functionality as part of the plan. Basically, whatever service you get via the GSM sim is what you can do with the phone thereafter.

5. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool, so the Verizon iPhone is CDMA+GSM? And if I'm using it on Verizon in the USA I won't be able to get VOICE+DATA simulatenously, not unless I use a GSM service right?

6. mac.cali macrumors 65816

That is correct.

Does anyone know once it's unlocked if you can use it for t-mobile in the USA?

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

No verizon/sprint 4s only allow international gsm carriers, and not local carriers such as att and tmobile.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If the gsm part is unlocked how can they stop that?

9. Vizin, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The way that the iPhone handles network locking allows the carrier to block a SIM based on its MCC.

Verizon and Sprint block US SIMs using this.

11. takeshi74, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

The only verifiable specs we have are for the currently available model. I can't imagine that the next model wouldn't support global roaming. Some info on the 4S from Verizon:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5777

See for yourself:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

It's true for 3G and below. Does not apply for LTE.

12. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

So does this mean Verizon and AT&T iPhones have the same exact hardware? Will I be able to inset an AT&T sim into an unlocked Verizon iPhone to use later on if I decide to leave Verizon?

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

No... this was mentioned above. hardware is the same. The way the sims are locked is different.

14. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

15. Unknown420 macrumors newbie

Yes they defiantly will unlock it for over seas....I have a Verizon iPhone 4s with Gevey Ultra S (unlocking sim tray) with Straight Talk(AT&T Network) in the US and I get all features of voice+data at the same time. Went from paying 120 a month to 45. :D