Can visiting certain sites give any viruses, malware, spyware or adware to my MBPr?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Sometimes I visit sites using "incognito" in Chrome so that it won't save any browsing history.

These sites give me pop ups, direct me to sites that I didn't intend to go to, and is just overall sketchy and laced with advertisements.

Is there any chance these sites could give me malware, adware, viruses or spyware?

I'm coming form a PC, and these kind of sites definitely do give all of the above to PCs.

Thanks.

EDIT: I do not install anything on my MBPr when visiting these sites. Just browse.

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

It's possible. Installing ScriptSafe in Chrome and then manually allowing what you need in order to use the site will greatly reduce the risk.

3. mrcheezit macrumors member

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

What's the best way to check if I'm infected? I have ClamXav.

5. simsaladimbamba

Use ClamXAV, it updates its database daily and more.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac, but that can be avoided via employing the proper security steps without the help of any anti virus software.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

6. Hieveryone, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014

Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks a lot. I'm pretty sure I don't have any sort or malware, spyware, etc. because I ran ClamXav and it said I'm clean.

:)

7. howareyoukk macrumors regular

That depends on what certain websites you meant ;)