Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Do you still need Acrobat Reader with Vista, or is PDF viewing built-in like with Macs?

(What about PDF creation?)

I know most PC makers bundle Reader anyway, but I'm trying to be sure what a bundle-less PC with just Vista can do with PDFs.

TIA

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Thanks. I'm writing some instructions for Windows users and hoped I could skip the "requires Adobe Reader" line.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sadly, no. You'd think they could have at least gotten that done by now.

As I understand it, it was commercial wrangling and not a technical obstacle. Some betas of Vista had it. But Microsoft did nonetheless dig this hole for themselves, particularly with the whole metro thing.... :rolleyes:™

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
M$ will be sued to broke if they bundle too many stuff. Firefox under windows doesn't contain flash neither.

To creat PDFs, under windows, only free stuff I know is Openoffice, which can export files to PDFs. the printing to PDF is one of the best features OSX has over windows.

Also, Firefox under windows is switching to Cairo, one of the features of cairo is drawing to PDF, so its possible firefox 3.0 will be able to save webpage into PDFs under windows.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Why doesn't MS just bundle Acrobat Reader and Flash with the OS? Doesn't Apple? (well Flash not Acrobat reader ;) )

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
This whole thread deserves a big "ha ha" and a picture of Nelson.
157479377_00b53b6c37_m.jpg

As I understand it, it was commercial wrangling and not a technical obstacle.
What do you mean by "commercial wrangling"?

Apple did it, dunno why MS can't?

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Maybe MS was trying to push their own replacement for PDF? I can see Adobe would withhold cooperation in that case.

But it's hard to imagine Adobe stopping Microsoft from including PDF support--Adobe WANTS their format to stay strong and be easier to use, and Reader is free anyway. Ditto for Flash player.

And it's hard to imagine the law requiring MS NOT to bundle 3rd-party compatiblity. (The law might require the reverse sometimes.) But the law often surprises me :)

So it does seem likely that MS is intentionally not supporting the standard. But who knows--I'm curious myself.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Microsoft and Adobe couldn't come to an agreement, and Adobe threatened to sue. Microsoft had to remove built-in PDF support from both Vista and Office 2007. However, Microsoft does offer a "save as PDF/XPS" feature download for Office 2007.

The rumor is Adobe wanted Adobe Reader bundled to off-set Vista's system-wide XPS service (smilar to Mac OS X's PDF service), which Microsoft built.

http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6079519.html

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Microsoft and Adobe couldn't come to an agreement, and Adobe threatened to sue. Microsoft had to remove built-in PDF support from both Vista and Office 2007. However, Microsoft does offer a "save as PDF/XPS" feature download for Office 2007.

The rumor is Adobe wanted Adobe Reader bundled to off-set Vista's system-wide XPS service (smilar to Mac OS X's PDF service), which Microsoft built.

http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6079519.html
now thats what I called "fact" and thanks for the info, 1000000 times better than blindly bashing.

and yes, users can download adobe reader 8 for free. Adobe would be bury itself if it doesn't provide windows a free pdf reader.

And yes, M$ and adobe are in direct competition, while apple is not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.