Can we all agree that if you have an iPhone 5 there's no real reason to get the 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFanboy, Sep 15, 2013.

?

Can we all agree that if you have an iPhone 5 there's no real reason to get the 5s?

1. Yes, if you have a 5 you may as well wait until 6

106 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. No, if you have a 5 the 5s contains enough improvements to justify upgrading now

140 vote(s)
    56.9%
  1. iFanboy Guest

Since the announcement I've read lots and lots of commentary, but nothing that suggests that the 5S is a worthy upgrade for someone who currently has a fully functional iPhone 5.

At this point the iPhone 5 is just a year old and has the same specs as the newly announced iPhone 5C. It runs iOS7 without issue or any noticeable impact on speed. It runs every application on the app store quickly and without problems and will do until at least the iPhone 6 is released. The camera hasn't degraded overnight and is still better than most smartphones.

Apple have literally taken the iPhone 5, and made evolutionary improvements that aside from the fingerprint sensor unlocking the phone aren't things that are going to be that noticeable in standard day to day use.

Can we all agree that if you have an iPhone 5 there is no real reason to get the 5S?

2. Angler macrumors regular

Not really, finger print sensor is enough for some people.

3. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

No. We can't.

I have a 5. I'm getting a 5s. Know why?

Because I WANT it.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I wouldn't upgrade to the 5S if I had a 5, some people may want the new processor, improved camera, fingerprint sensor, etc.

5. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

i think with the new A7 chip and it being 2x as fast as the 5 is enough for me. i am all about speed....in most cases....

6. iFanboy Guest

It's obviously fine just to want it, but I'm pretty sure that comes under "no real reason".

7. pmau macrumors 65816

No, we cannot agree on that.

Apple did introduce the A7/M7 for a reason: Future iWatch integration.
    They played it down because they did not want to announce vaporware.

My guess is the 5c is the response to all the complaints about build quality.
    The 5s is the glimpse into next year.

Those who think that the 5s is not a big deal should look 6 month into the future. My guess is that the M7 collects data for the iWatch in the background and that the 5c will not be able to do so...

The 5s is a preparation for next quarter. Useless today, but absolutely necessary next spring if you jump on the iWatch.

8. iFanboy Guest

But that's tech specs. I haven't read any commentary from anyone at the event that said when they took a look the 5s was noticeably faster than the 5?

If real world usage isn't really that noticeable day to day is it really worth it?

9. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I'm getting the 5s too and I have a 5 now. The main reason I'm getting it is because I can. Although I expect the 5s to be faster and have a better camera, I think you'll be alright if you stick to the 5. The 5 has a real nice camera and is very fast already. Not sure about the fingerprint sensor though.

10. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I'm getting the 5s from the 5, know why? Because then I'll be LOSING money if I don't. Every year I upgrade from the previous generation to the current by selling my old one and paying for the new. I always get more for my phone than what I previously paid for it so I actually make money. If I were to wait, then I lose a nice chunk of change because now it's two year old technology.

So it's a double-win. I get the new phone for free (plus some extra spending money) and I am always using the current generation. To be honest, the specs don't matter to me because I'm going to sell and upgrade so I don't lose money.

11. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I don't need it at all but hey it's a new toy and for a lot of people that just maybe enough. Technically there are improvements and some new features that some folks may need . Bottom line people buy for all kinds of reasons and some give there loved ones there old phone and upgrade them as well by giving them a 5 . I have done that with both my kids but now they both have 5.

12. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Sounds like you're trying to justify to yourself that purchasing a new phone is not worth it. The fact is if you have any doubts then don't do it.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's the same exact game plan they followed with the 3Gs and 4s, and tons of people upgraded from the 3 and 4.

In comparison, the 5s may be the biggest s upgrade to date.

Why would you even spend 5 seconds of your life worrying about if others upgrade for what you consider no real reason?!

14. oaktree macrumors regular

I'm confused. Why should we all agree to this?

15. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Increased speed, better camera, fingerprint sensor.

I think these are "real reasons"

----------

Yup. I'm baffled as well.

16. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

+1.

17. iFanboy Guest

The poster didn't list those or any reason, he said he just wanted it. In which case, that's obviously fine, but "no real reason".

18. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Because OP decides for everyone. Haven't you heard?

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OP, if you don't want to upgrade from a 5 to a 5s that's fine
    But plenty of people will, and for varied reasons
    Speed, colors, camera, fingerprint sensor, or a host of other personal reasons
    There may not be a compelling reason for you, but we will never "all agree" on anything here on the MR board

Personally, I am still undecided

20. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm a she.

Those are my technical "reasons."

But, I don't think I need a reason. That's all I was saying.

WANT? That's a reason.

----------

I'm good with your indecision. You're good with my decision to buy, I assume (you sound like a reasonable individual)

See, OP? We can all just make up our own minds regarding major purchases. :)

21. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Yup and better battery, and 64bit, and better camera, and more colour choices...

22. Judas1 macrumors 6502a

If you're upgrading from the 5 to the 5s, I'm assuming you're not using an upgrade but buying it outright. That is a lot of money for just spec upgrades and a fingerprint lock. So pass on it and get the 6 as an upgrade. Save money, and get bigger improvements. There is a reason why lots of people are on a two year upgrade cycle. More bang for your buck.

23. mittencuh macrumors member

mittencuh

I have an iPhone 5 (factory unlocked) and I will be upgrading to the 5s. Why? Because if I wait until iPhone 6 the value of a used 5 will have gone down. Right now the cost to upgrade to a 5s from a 5 with what I can get for it on the used market is pretty minimal.

On top of that I am excited for the new camera and processor. I was always skeptical when the iPhone 4S came out about processor speed, but it ended up feeling significantly faster than the 4.

24. matttye macrumors 601

Not a big enough upgrade for me but everyone is different.

iPad 5 however? Maybe I could be persuaded... ;)

25. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

You'd assume incorrectly. I have 4 lines on a family plan. There's always an upgrade-eligible line.

I pass phones down to the kids. Sometimes to my husband (we are on different plans because of work).

The only iPhone I ever paid full price to buy was the original.

Also, I suspect that, in some cases, people who are paying full price are selling their 5 to recoup some of cost.

This year, I'm trading my 5. It'll pay for my 5s.