Can We Take A Joke?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Let's get off the election for a second and back were we belong: on your mother. Get it? Its a really bad joke and some would say offensive as well. I'm halfway through a flick called "Can We Take A Joke?" which is a documentary about how so many people are always offended by comedians nowadays. Its actually a pretty bleak view of so-called liberal college students who should be open to new ideas, shutting down anyone who dares to say anything that hurts their feelings in anyway. College administrators are actually feeding into this craziness by paying students to go to plays/comedy shows and heckle the performers. So sad, as Donald would say. I love off-color humor but understand that sometimes comedians can say something that's not just funny and offensive to just be offensive. But I would never demand an apology from them (is that really an apology anyway?). I can't see getting so worked up over this stuff, how in the hell are these people going to make it in the real world when they aren't even strong enough to take a joke or, simply, JUST WALK OUT OF A COMEDY CLUB when they don't like what they hear?

2. Herdfan macrumors 6502

They can't. Not only are they offended, but they are also offended for other people whom they don't even know.

I plan on watching this soon.

And no, they will not do well in society. I guess we are going to need to new protected class.

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The dude in the video comes across as being offended right off the bat.

Irony is cool.

The issue is making offensiveness FUNNY.

Carroll O'Connor (actor, worked with the writers of "All in the Family") and Chris Rock get it right. So did Rodney Dangerfield and Marsha Warfield with her standup. Dave Chappelle as well. Arguably for the makers of South Park as well...

But Sarah Silverman, Gilbert Godfried, and barely-hides-her-racism-and-homophobia Leslie Jones have no clue, which is why the offensiveness comes across as "offensive for the sake of it" and then trying to market how "offensive is funny" is adequate when, no it clearly is not "just because". Trying too hard and missing the deftness and tact required.