Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Watoosh21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Can i have my OSX side of my computer running in the backround while i use windows 7? using bootcamp

ryan0402

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
get a parrellel like vmware fusion or parellel desktop google it ( u can get it for free but be careful some may be viruses)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
get a parrellel like vmware fusion or parellel desktop google it ( u can get it for free but be careful some may be viruses)

So true, commercial software is ridden with viruses, especially those written for Mac OS X, which lately has so many viruses no one can name, that it is a plague to just read uninformed information about it.

For the ones, who want to inform themselves about the difference of viruses, spyware, trojans and other malware, read the following twice.

And to be a bit informative: Currently there are NO/ZERO viruses for Mac OS X in publication, just some trojans, which you have to manually install yourself and you have to enter your password to do so.

Btw, as the poster above me already stated, and the one I quoted misstated and misspelled, there is virtualisation software, that can run Windows as a virtual machine (VM) inside Mac OS X. The most prominent ones are Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion, both can even use the Boot Camp partition to run Windows. But as virtualisation software is run inside Mac OS X, don't expect native speeds and excellent graphics performance, as there are layers (quite thick) between Windows and the hardware, thus the GPU can't be fully utilised and 3D intensive applications won't run perfectly or even at all.

Btw 2, Boot Camp is for running Windows natively, meaning Mac OS X is not booted, only Windows. Thus the aforementioned virtualisation software comes into play.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
So true, commercial software is ridden with viruses, especially those written for Mac OS X, which lately has so many viruses no one can name, that it is a plague to just read uninformed information about it.

I think ryan meant you can get a Trojan (or whatever) when *ahem* you obtain Parallels or VMWare via "Free" Methods :p

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I think ryan meant you can get a Trojan (or whatever) when *ahem* you obtain Parallels or VMWare via "Free" Methods :p

I think I understood it that way too, but a virus is not a trojan and

Warez/Serials/Keys.
Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

from https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us#Things_Not_to_Do

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

I'm with KirkL, it was the "free" version that is suspect... not the commercial version. And, I know Spinnerlys knows better - but for anyone new to Macs and reading this thread. The only known 'malware' in the wild (trojans at this point) for OS X are attached to a couple of 'free' versions of software that you should be paying for.

Watoosh21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
humm

its cus i wanted to use the full power of my computer this is wat i wanted 2 do: render an HD vid while i play a game using bootcamp...

THX 4 the help

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
I think I understood it that way too, but a virus is not a trojan and

Warez/Serials/Keys.
Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

from https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us#Things_Not_to_Do

I know it's against the rules. But it's not as if Ryan posted a link to it or anything, he was simply alluding to them in passing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.