Can you actually buy quality battery replacement aside from the Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcrum23, Aug 16, 2013.

1. mcrum23 macrumors member

Hi,

I bought a replacement battery for my Iphone 3gs from a website, using batteryinfolite I discovered that the battery was actually far from being new as it had already more than 300 cycles. Got a another one from the same shop but still got the same issue, it's just another used battery...

Then I looked at amazon batteries but the reviews are also terrible.

So I wonder, is there any legit battery dealer out there? I live in europe btw.

:confused:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The honest answer is no. Far too many people have found this out to their cost. A genuine Apple replacement is the way to go.

If you have ANY doubts, just search these boards.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think there was ever a time when you could find a "quality" replacement battery that wasn't produced by Apple (or sold by Apple). I think these days when it comes to after market for Apple products, I will stick with whatever they egregiously mark up and sell me.

4. mcrum23 thread starter macrumors member

Well I wish I knew this before I wasted my time with this crap, maybe there should be a sticky or something about this?

I won't go the Apple route, it's to much absurd to give them 80 bucks for something that's merely worth 5$, and that's the straw that breaks the camel's back. I already replaced my Ipad by an Android tablet and will do the same with my IPhone when it's time to replace it, I'm just sick and tired of those Apple shenanigans.
    /rant

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

5. mcrum23 thread starter macrumors member

Okay unless someone advise me not to I will give a last try with this website:
    http://www.iphonebatteryrepair.com

They claim that they sell their own battery tech and not some refurbished crap, they also indicate that their battery are tested.

Sure enough, they might be lying and I'm a gullible idiot. I'll tell you when I got my hand on their battery.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I'm interested in hearing the update.

How do you check the number of cycles?

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

8. mcrum23 thread starter macrumors member

I use the cydia app called batteryinfolite.

I'm not sure about buying from the aforementioned website tough, I realized the transatlantic shipping is going to be pain in the *ss, especially if I have to return the battery back.

9. cynics macrumors G3

You can get a quality battery from ifixit.com . I've been using one in my 4S for a few months now.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Depending on the device and it's age they hand you a new replacement device (they do not swap batteries). I had an iPod classic 80 GB that was almost five years old and since they don't make that one anymore, they gave me a 160 GB. I also had an iPod touch that had been through the washer and dryer, and had a dent in the back where I think I stepped on it. They handed me a new one.

But for what your experiences have been and the trouble you're going through, it reinforces my decision to let Apple handle mine. Is a battery case an option?