Can you add an out of contract iphone to a family plan w/o starting contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StangGT909, Sep 26, 2012.

1. StangGT909 macrumors member

Dec 28, 2008
    Wife fulfilled her 2 year agreement with ATT and just re-up'ed to an iphone 5.

Due to job reasons, I do not want a 2-year contract on my phone.

Can I add her previous, now unused deactivated iphone 4, to my family plan, without having a contract?

I am not buying any equipment so it should be a no brainer, but you never know.
  2. sawah macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2010
    As far as I know, if you already have the phone it would just be a month to month contract.
  3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    While this is a question for you carrier, when I have used older iPhone, while waiting for the new one, it has never extended my contract or affected the subsidy discount on the new phone.
  4. satchow macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2011
    Yep. I added an out of contract iPhone 4 to my plan about 6 months ago. They charged me like $36 like an ***** would though for the activation fee.
    I was able to get subsidized pricing on that line on an iPhone 5 also 2 weeks ago.
  5. StangGT909 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 28, 2008
    Thank you, this is what I expected.

The $36 activation is a joke, but it's still cheaper than the alternative.

Thanks for the quick response
  6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    We're lon standing ATT customers and every time I have asked them nicely to waive that fee they have.
  7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2010
    Yes, no problem adding all the lines you want with your own phone. In fact, had a brother on our plan for a bit. He went into ATT store and bought a $10 cheap phone. Worked fine.

Am a bit curious about not wanting contract though?