Can you add an out of contract iphone to a family plan w/o starting contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StangGT909, Sep 26, 2012.

1. StangGT909 macrumors member

Wife fulfilled her 2 year agreement with ATT and just re-up'ed to an iphone 5.

Due to job reasons, I do not want a 2-year contract on my phone.

Can I add her previous, now unused deactivated iphone 4, to my family plan, without having a contract?

I am not buying any equipment so it should be a no brainer, but you never know.

2. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

As far as I know, if you already have the phone it would just be a month to month contract.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

While this is a question for you carrier, when I have used older iPhone, while waiting for the new one, it has never extended my contract or affected the subsidy discount on the new phone.

4. satchow macrumors 6502

Yep. I added an out of contract iPhone 4 to my plan about 6 months ago. They charged me like $36 like an ***** would though for the activation fee.
    I was able to get subsidized pricing on that line on an iPhone 5 also 2 weeks ago.

5. StangGT909 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, this is what I expected.

The $36 activation is a joke, but it's still cheaper than the alternative.

Thanks for the quick response

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

We're lon standing ATT customers and every time I have asked them nicely to waive that fee they have.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yes, no problem adding all the lines you want with your own phone. In fact, had a brother on our plan for a bit. He went into ATT store and bought a $10 cheap phone. Worked fine.

Am a bit curious about not wanting contract though?