Can you advise me what the deal is with my Macbook Pro battery please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajdb9, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ajdb9 macrumors member

Hi
    I have had the Macbook Pro 15" for about 12months now. CoconutBattery tells me that It is actually 15months old (I accept that, as I assume that is to manufacturing date). But, it also says I only have 30-40% of my original charging capacity left. I have noticed a large drop in battery time, and have never fully calibrated.
    I am calibrating as we speak. It never actually ran down to 0%, because it kept on randomly shutting off (without warning). I was able to reboot it a few times, but it switched off fully by itself for the 3rd time or so and refused to boot again (I assumed it was now as good as 0%). I am about to plug it in again. I have noticed this shutting off a number of times, including when I had an indicate 16%, and was about to save a page worth of document on Pages, only to lose it all as it randomly shut off.
    I am under warranty, is it reasonable to think this is a faulty battery? Or have I ruined it by not calibrating (something that is not clearly specified as necessary in the booklet)
    Thanks heaps
    Peace

2. UNDERD0G macrumors newbie

UNDERD0G

Take it to Apple

There's no way that's your fault. Apple RECOMMENDS that you calibrate, and it is a good idea. However, if your macbook pro is randomly shutting off before your battery indicator hits 0% then have it looked at before your 12 months runs out! Good luck. :)

3. ajdb9 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man.
    Its like 3 days of 12 months, but gonna get AppleCare tomorrow, so all sweet :D
    Get it checked out.
    Thanks

4. Z06jerry macrumors regular

The extended Applecare warranty doesn't cover batteries, so you should get it looked at before your 12 months is up.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It could be a dead cell. People with dead cells often have the same symptoms you describe re: random shut downs.

6. ajdb9 thread starter macrumors member

Even obviously faulty ones? I can understand it not covering wear over time... but if it's faulty... surely it should cover it?

7. ajdb9 thread starter macrumors member

Thankyou, Z06Jerry

Listen to this guy! He clearly knows his stuff.
    I was one day out from my 1-year warranty expiring. Apple said that if I had gone tomorrow (1 day out of warranty), it would not have been covered (even with AppleCare), (and even tho it was a faulty battery). Thankyou for saving me NZ$300 or so, Mr Z06 Jerry.
    Thankyou to other respondants also. I am currently running without a battery - just plugged in (the MagSafe makes that slightly scary lol, easy to accidentaly disconnect) - and will have a new battery in a couple of days, free of charge (except petrol getting to the shop!)
    Thanks again,
    Peace.