Can you boot an iMac from the ssd of a MacBook (air/pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ulf1103, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Ulf1103 macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2011

I'm having the next problem.
    (boring introduction text, you can skip to the question if you want :p)

I'm going to college and I used to carry around a 17" (heavy) laptop and I'm sick of the weight.
    So I'm going to buy a Macbook Air.
    The only problem is when I get home, I want to have a big screen and a powerfull cpu (I need it for my studies, (using ubuntu, curently having an a6-3400m quad core running at 2.8GHz (overclock) and I sometimes need to wait for it for like 10 min before it has calculated everything)).
    So I would buy an iMac and use it when I get home.
    Problem 1 solved :)
    But then I would have to sync all data that I made/adjusted.
    I could use dropbox for it, but if it is allot, then I need to wait for it to download.
    So I wonderd, is there a way to make my life easyer?

here's the question:

Is there a way to boot the iMac from the OS (and the ssd) that's in the Macbook Air? (using an ethernet cable or thunderbolt cable).

(or do you think of another easy solution?)
  2. mulo macrumors 68020

Aug 22, 2010
    Behind you
    you can boot most any mac, from any installation. so long as the installation has drivers for that computer - which it will if the computer is supported by your version of the OS (in your case lion I assume)

and yes, thunderbolt is your only option with the MBA
  3. Ulf1103 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2011
    thanks, that helped a lot

I did soe research for it, and it appeares that when you boot f.e. the iMac from the ssd from the MacBook Pro/Air that the screen of the Pro/Air will be "locked".

Is there any way to use the "unused screen" from the MacBook Pro/Air as an external monitor?

(So booting the iMac from the ssd of the MBA using Target disk mode and using the MBA as an external screen would be perfect
    I mean, you can use the iMac as an external screen for the MacBook Air, so why not the other way around?)