Can you buy an unlocked iPhone to be used in South Korea Carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arian19, Nov 27, 2015.

1. arian19 macrumors 6502

So I want to buy an iPhone 6 as a gift for a friend in South Korea for Christmas, I was wondering if I buy an unlocked phone from Apple in USA, will I be able to send it to them so they can use it with a carrier over in South Korea?

The SIM-free iPhone comes without a wireless contract commitment or carrier financing. It doesn’t come with a nano-SIM card for iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, or iPhone 5s. And because it’s unlocked, it isn’t tied to one carrier, so you can get a nano-SIM from any supported carrier worldwide, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States.

Purchasing a SIM-free iPhone means you will not qualify for the lower iPhone price associated with a contract or a carrier installment plan.

If you don’t want a multiyear service contract, or if you prefer to use a local carrier when traveling abroad, the SIM-free iPhone is the best choice.

- Apple's Website

But this says United States, what about outside the United States

2. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

Dont buy phones in South Korea...you can't turn off the camera shutter sound.!!! You've been warned.

Edit: Didn't read your post properly.

3. arian19, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

arian19 thread starter macrumors 6502

I said, I want to buy it in USA, and I want to know if it will work in South Korea...

Wait never mind, I didn't read what Apple said properly...

And because it’s unlocked, it isn’t tied to one carrier, so you can get a nano-SIM from any supported carrier worldwide, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States.​

This is the part I didn't read supported carrier worldwide

4. Sumter macrumors regular

Sumter

Yeah I use my phone (6+ Verizon) in South Korea no problem. I was there this summer. Sim free should also be fine.

5. greatness macrumors member

Used an unlocked phone (T-Mobile model) on both KT Olleh and SKT with zero issues.