Can you buy digital download movies somewhere besides itunes?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jps1012, May 19, 2011.

1. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Can you buy digital download movies somewhere besides itunes? Itunes is so expensive. $60 for a season. Can I buy a digital download from Amazon and put that on my ipad? Is there and other options? Thanks!

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Amazon is streaming only and I don't think it would work in Safari. The only other thing I can think of is Zune and the prices are probably the same.

3. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

its best to jus buy the dvd and rip it to your harddrive to put into itunes. plus you can then sell the dvd and that will make it even cheaper. ofcourse itunes usually gets tv series alot faster then they go to dvd so if you want recent tv series thats pretty much your only option unless ofcourse you find a way to download them elsewhere.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually you should NOT do this. When you sell the DVD you are also selling your licenses to view it. If you sell the DVD you should also delete any backup copy you have made.

5. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I tried using handbrake last night to rip a movie but I couldn't get it to work right :(

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Using a Mac? Did you get VLC too? You need to have it for handbrake to work.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

7. JBG87 macrumors member

you can check ebay...

i bought tron for 5$ and inception for 5$ the digital downloads from the movies people sell them...but they expire so they dont have that many

8. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I downloaded both and I have VLC on my ipad. I am using windows vista. I need a step by step instructions. I dont understand how handbrake and VLC work together.

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

+1

Ah yes, the RIAA Black & White and sometimes Gray area.

Though the vast majority of the MR community will disagree... you are correct.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes, this is technically correct.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

The concept of licensing appears to be elusive to most. I remember all the squawking when CDs came out and people were griping about why they would have to buy another copy of something they already owned (ditto DVD/VHS).

In layman's terms, if I let you sleep with my wife for $10, that doesn't then give you the right to sleep with her but then sell her services to someone else for $10. I conveyed to you only the right to sleep with her.

Same for licensed creative works. You can use the work on the medium through which you purchased it and you can subsequently sell it to someone else, but that means you can't then keep it in any form.

12. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Try Netflix or Hulu. You can always buy it from any other online store and simply convert it to work with your iPad using Handbrake.

13. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I am trying to rip my elf dvd with handbrake and it says error bc of of copyright or something. When I do it on VLC it only does the first 5 min of the movie. Is there anything else I can do to rip it? Do I need to change the settings?

14. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

so what does your wife look like? :D

15. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    Now this is an interesting analogy. I bet your wife loves you. :) I know what you meant but you could have picked almost anything else, or do you sell your wife's services regularly. ;)

16. Razeus macrumors 601

Subscribe to Netflix, order all the DVD's you want, rip them, send them back, profit.

17. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

That is called stealing...

18. Razeus macrumors 601

Stealing is when you don't pay for it. I pay them monthly.

19. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

You pay to RENT X number DVDs at a given time. Ripping them to your hard drive and keeping them is stealing. You can try to justify it anyway that you would like, but it's still theft.

20. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

doesn't matter if you sell the DVD or you keep it for life. making "backup copies" is illegal under DMCA.
    (edit: for clarification you are correct but ripping even if you're keeping the DVD for life is still illegal(********))

Only real loophole is as a "student" and if it is relevant to your studies, you can rip "clips" so technically if you rip an entire feature sans credits, it's a clip because it's not the complete work.

DMCA was so behind in tech, it really didn't consider digital mediums for viewing videos or the fact that buying a DVD isn't just buying a DVD, it's buying a license to view content, and DVD disc and player manufacturers do not have the right to limit what you do with the product you own as long as you're not distributing it illegally with or without compensation. Problem is the industry giants have the lobbying dollars to keep DMCA as law.

In any event, I'll keep ripping every DVD I buy using Handbrake w/VLC. Come get me. I'll happily be the test case.

21. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Exactly. You rent a movie, you're purchasing a temporary license of viewing. It's just like going to a theater. You get to watch the film a finite amount of times within a given time frame, then you must return the license to view (by either leaving the theater or returning the DVD).

22. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

How do you rip DVD's you own. Handbrake says its copyright protected.

23. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

you need VLC and Handbrake. With both, I've never gotten that "warning".

24. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I do have both. How do you get them to work together?

25. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Mac or PC? Either way if you've just installed VLC, you need to open it once first to get past that "authorize opening a downloaded application" screen thing. Then Handbrake will be able to access the codecs and stuff from VLC.