Can You Call Apple To Purchase AppleCare+?

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
A couple of days ago, my Grandmother ordered an iPhone 4 over the phone from Verizon. Afterwards, I found out that Verizon didn't mention anything about purchasing AppleCare and was pushing their own. Anyways, with this in mind, is there any way to simply purchase AppleCare+ over the phone from Apple? My Mom was able to do this with her iPhone 4 that was purchased in October, however, it seems on Apple's website, you can now only get it through ordering it simultaneously with the phone or taking it to the Apple Store within 30 days, so it can be inspected by a genius, along with the proof of purchase, etc.

So I didn't know whether people were still able to call Apple to get this or not. My Grandmother is rather frail and if we could save the trip to the Apple Store, that would be preferable.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
A couple of days ago, my Grandmother ordered an iPhone 4 over the phone from Verizon. Afterwards, I found out that Verizon didn't mention anything about purchasing AppleCare and was pushing their own. Anyways, with this in mind, is there any way to simply purchase AppleCare+ over the phone from Apple? My Mom was able to do this with her iPhone 4 that was purchased in October, however, it seems on Apple's website, you can now only get it through ordering it simultaneously with the phone or taking it to the Apple Store within 30 days, so it can be inspected by a genius, along with the proof of purchase, etc.

So I didn't know whether people were still able to call Apple to get this or not. My Grandmother is rather frail and if we could save the trip to the Apple Store, that would be preferable.

I can't say for sure, but if she just purchased it a couple days ago maybe they'll do it by phone without the inspection. At the very least it's worth a try. A phone call is a lot easier than driving there if you don't need to.

Robbietaylor

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2009
AppleCare+ is only available for the iPhone 4s I believe. Regular AppleCare can be purchased over the phone.

fullojellybeans

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
You can purchase it in store only within 30 days of purchase. You have to go to an Apple retail store. Make a genius bar appointment and they can sell it to you.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
AppleCare+ is only available for the iPhone 4S.

Regular AppleCare can be purchased anytime the original warranty is still valid.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA

AppleCare+ is only available for the iPhone 4s I believe. Regular AppleCare can be purchased over the phone.
AppleCare+ is only available for the iPhone 4S.

Regular AppleCare can be purchased anytime the original warranty is still valid.

Actually, I thought it was also the case that AC+ was only available for the 4S, but decided to double check with the Apple Online Store. Turns out is available for ALL newly purchased iPhones, 3G, 4, 4S.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575

So, OP, you should call AC and asked for it to be added. AC+ is "compatible" with your phone as long as it was purchased in the appropriate time.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
They changed the policy in December, prior to that you could purchase Apple Care+ over the phone yet now they require an inspection for all phones in which AC+ wasn't purchased at the time you purchased the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.