Can you cancel online order and buy in-store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Undecided, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Hi. Is it possible to cancel an order placed with Apple online?

I placed an order yesterday, and so it won't ship for weeks - so I thought I'd try my luck this Friday. So if I can get it Friday, I'd want to cancel.

But, would there be a problem trying to buy on Friday in-store given that the subsidy was already "used" when ordering online?

:confused:

2. audipartners macrumors member

audipartners

you'd think

I would think so...I may do the same thing.

What sucks is I had a reservation to recive the 21st and it did not work...now my is to get here the 10-16th...:mad:

3. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and since I placed the order with Apple, it should be easy enough to "secure" one in the store, then just before purchase tell the Apple employee to first cancel the online order, then complete the in-store purchase.

4. iMule macrumors 6502

Has anybody ever done this? I want a real life story, so that I don't ruin my sleep for nothing on Friday. I still haven't been charged yet.

5. Swerthy macrumors member

I was thinking of doing the same thing until I got my order fixed.

Here's what my plan was going to be:
    1) Wake up early, wait in line.
    2) When I knew they had the inventory to supply the phone I wanted I would go on my iPhone 4 and cancel the order at store.apple.com/orderstatus
    3a) Then I would call my carrier (in this case AT&T) and talk with a rep making sure my reverse upgrade went through and has been processed so when I went to buy my new iPhone 5 in store it would go through and I wouldn't have to pay the unsubsidized price.
    3b) Hold onto new iPhone 5 until the reverse upgrade is processed (if it takes this long...)
    4) Pay for new iPhone 5 and walk out a happy customer.

That was my plan at least. Hope it helped!

6. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I preordered my 4S last year and ended up canceling because the shipping date slipped to 2-3 weeks. On launch date, my first stop was an AT&T store but they were out of the 16GB model, so I headed to an Apple Store at 2pm. I ended up walking out with the phone within an hour. I'd make sure that you double check your status online to confirm that you retain your subsidized upgrade.

7. Nelson41 macrumors newbie

I was in the same boat as you. I preordered early friday morning but still had a delivery date of Oct 5th, so I decided to cancel and take my chances at a launch day event. I cancelled my Apple.com order yesterday, and stopped by an AT&T store today to double check my upgrade status. They said everything looked fine, and I should be able to use my upgrade on Friday, no problem. Good luck.

8. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I'm doing the very same thing but I've been told two different things about the upgrade eligibility. The folks at the AT&T Store told me it could take up to 2 days for the eligibility to be restored after you cancel the original order. But I read somewhere else and it said it takes only about 15 minutes. I asked at the Apple Store just an hour ago and they said no problem - in fact they would do the cancellation for me. So we'll see.

9. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Did it last year. Actually cancelled my order while at the store. :)

10. iMule macrumors 6502

Awesome. No issues at all?