Can you charge a MacBook Air with charger for MB or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dr_Maybe, May 10, 2009.

1. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Simple question: Can you charge a MacBook Air with a charger that's meant for a normal MacBook or MacBook Pro?

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Yes, according to some, it charges faster. Problem I noticed is easily unplugs as MBA has cord that angles towards back instead of straight out. So when sitting on table, it can easily be bumped out and doesn't fit quite right as hits table.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Mine didn't charge faster between the 45 watt and the 85 watt adapters. Both got 1.5 hours from 10% -> 80% for me.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I didn't notice any difference either. I should have said that. But some people do say their MBA charges faster with MB charger. I wondered if I had paid too much for an extra MBA charger when the MB/MBP chargers were same price, but I decided it didn't make a difference. Plus, I really don't like how easy the MB/MBP charger doesn't stay in right as it sticks straight out instead of sleekly going towards the back of the MBA.

5. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Thanks. I am planning to have a normal MB charger at the office, so that I don't have to bring a charger to the office and plug it in etc. Just have the little magsafe connector ready on the desk :)

At first I'll see if it can keep my MBP powered. I plan to get an MBA when a new one is out and then I'll take that to the office instead.

6. stoconnell macrumors 6502

You will likely not be able to charge the battery of a MBP with a MB (65W) power supply while it's running (you will be able to run the machine). This inadvertently happened to one of my co-workers who thought his battery was dying until I noticed he had the wrong power supply. Our desktop group hooked him up with an 85W PS and all was good again.

I can run my MBA and charge the battery using a spare 85W I have at home, but it does plug in at a different angle so you won't be able to have it sit flat on a surface (you'll need to elevate it off a surface).