Can you check if Verizon 4G is in Your Area Through iPad Before Buying Data Plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Starfyre, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

If you have a Verizon iPad, is it possible to tell if 4G is in your area on your iPad through some indicator before you buy a data plan on your iPad? Or do you have to purchase a data plan first before you know if 4G really is available?

I know theres a coverage map, but those things are not always the most accurate especially when there may be gaps in service. I don't want to buy a Verizon data plan just to realize that 4G was actually not available in my area, but I just paid for the data plan expecting it.

2. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Yes. If there is a Verizon store that you can visit, they will (more than likely) have a display model that is on their network. Depending on how far you live from that store, your home may not be in LTE range. When I went to get an Android phone (just for LTE), all of the phones were on the cell network, not wifi. The 4G is great, my phone would be dead in half a day. That's part of the reason the new iPad has such a large battery.

3. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Apple needs to actually improve battery life technology instead of just making it bigger and heavier or the iPad 4th Generation will be in trouble and not be innovative.

4. BigCatz macrumors member

I'd recommend googling "4g coverage" and your zip code, read through any non-carrier sites, to see if others in your area can confirm or deny coverage.

Forget the carrier maps, they assume a signal saturation unimpeded by hills and valleys or tall buildings, flocks of geese, bad weather, etc.

5. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

If it's like AT&T it won't let you buy the data plan if the address you put in doesn't have coverage.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmmm, a 70% increase in battery with just a couple of ounces and millimeters? Really?

Yes, I'm sure Apple will be in BIG trouble... :rolleyes:

7. emgoodman macrumors regular

The Data plan is not just for LTE

Even if you do not have LTE in your area yet (like mine), you can still access 3G (assuming that is available). Your iPad will show that even before purchasing a plan. You are not paying more for LTE and getting screwed if it's not available. The plans are the same whether it's LTE or the slower 3G.

8. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Yea. I guess I should have been clearer. If the iPad get coverage at all it will let you buy a plan. If your area gets no coverage 3G/4G it won't let you.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, but AT&T falls back on 4G (HSPA+) from 4G LTE before it hits 3G. Verizon goes from LTE to 3G.

And believe me, you don't want to get stuck with Verizon 3G... :cool:

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Verizon's online map lets you type in your address. It's pretty accurate from what I can tell.

11. ethana macrumors 6502a

Don't count on that. My address in Arizona says its in an LTE area, but I am typing this on 3G in the house right now. Pretty pissed about it actually, and I may just return it for a WiFi model instead.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

What kind of coverage do you get on AT&T? Maybe that's an option.