Can you check voicemails on the iPhone on a different phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AdventurousJosh, Dec 18, 2009.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I am leaving the country and will need to check my messages while abroad. Can I call my phone like a traditional phone and check my vociemails?? Or does the visual voicemail prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

Josh

2. ramases macrumors member

You don't say what network you are on or where you are going. However I'll try and take a general stab at a reply from the UK outbound from the O2 website.

How do I use Visual Voicemail abroad?

In most countries Visual Voicemail will work as it does in the UK. Where it doesn't work you can access your voicemail from another device by dialing your mobile number, pressing * during your greeting and following the prompts.

After you’ve upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0 software, your Visual Voicemail might work differently overseas.

If Data Roaming (in Settings > General > Network) is switched off on your iPhone, Visual Voicemail it won’t work at all. Instead, to get your voicemail overseas, you can:

Call 901 (there might be a charge)
    Switch on Data Roaming (in (in Settings > General > Network) while you look at Visual Voicemail, then turn it off again. We don’t recommend this, though, because some of your iPhone apps might automatically send or receive data and you’ll be charged. It’s £2.94 a MB in the EU and £6 a MB everywhere else, so it’s a bit risky if you don’t want an unexpected big bill when you get back.

3. flutieflakes01 macrumors newbie

Yes!

Call your number and when it goes to voicemail, press (*) and then you can enter your passcode....that is, if you remember what your voicemail passcode is....I sure don't!! haha.....it's easy to forget it when you have visual voicemail!

4. SeanMcC macrumors regular

^^ Follow those steps. If you've never changed your VM password it's 111111. (If you have AT&T)