Can you connect a 30" Apple cinema display to a PC laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elgrecomac, Sep 26, 2009.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I own a MPB and an Apple 30" cinema display with a fill sized DVI connector.

For work I have a PC with a female VGA output jack. I tried to use a female 'DVI to male VGA' connector I bought at Frys but the PC just won't drive the ACD. Any suggestion from anyone is greatly appreciated.

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Yes you can, I believe you need a vga to dvi conncter or what ever video out-output you have, to dvi adapter. There cheap so good luck

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

If this is a desktop PC you should check to see if you can replace the graphics card with a relatively cheap one with Dual-Link DVI.

4. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

This is wrong. It uses D-DVI, as in Digital DVI. VGA is an analog signal. In other words, no it will not work given your current set up. You will need to upgrade video card, if possible.

You can use it on any computer, provided that the video card/system is capable of Dual DVI output. Most cards made in the last few years are - a simple google search of the exact card you are interested in plus "dual DVI" will quickly answer your question.

5. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

You need Dual-Link DVI which is found mostly on workstation notebooks to get it to work with 2560x1600. VGA definitely will not work and Single-Link DVI and HDMI will only give you a 1280x800 resolution on the ACD as it does not have a scalar to do 1920x1200.