Can you convince me to get a Shuffle instead of a Nano?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ConnorTurnbull, Sep 3, 2010.

1. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

I LOVE the new Nano (apart from no video playback) but my wallet doesn't agree with me just yet. Can you try and convince me to get a shuffle instead?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

depends how much storage capacity you are satisfied with.

3. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

I have a Shuffle (2nd gen) and a Nano (5th gen). The Nano is the best iPod music player I've ever had. I like it better than my iPod Video for playing music. The shuffle is *great* for listening to music while you're doing physical tasks. I used it at work a lot while working on workstations. I accidentally bent the clip, however, which really ticked me off.

I guess it boils down to if you want 2GB of music at a time with no screen or 8GB/16GB. You can also get a refurb 8GB 5th gen nano for $99 on the apple store online. Seems to split the difference and you can watch videos on it!

4. MOROCman macrumors newbie

The nano screen size isn't a practical touch way too fiddly and over priced I just ordered the shuffle it's cheap, easy to use and doesn't look to bad either I think nxt year they will change the nano again because it looks like it's gunna be a major flop!!!

5. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

If it was a feature that I used I would probably be upset too. But let's be real... how many people actually watched video regularly on their Nanos'?

Anyway I know we all hate getting an answer with a question back in them but what are you going to be using it for?

Don't know if your in school or not but as far as walking around campus, or riding the subway, or a lot of car use, I'd say the Nano. It's a bit "higher class" and if you listen through your car stereo a lot it's good because you can choose your music.

If you are just getting something to workout to, or something that you will use but only every so often such as cleaning the house or whatever your reason may be, I'd say go for the shuffle.

Also, a bit of redundancy here but just to recap: If it's something your going to be using every single day for generic use (unless your sole purpose is for the gym) then you don't want a shuffle. Not being able to choose your music would get old very fast.

Good luck!

-Dale

Kind of like the -it's just a big iPhone- iPad? :rolleyes: My buddy works at Best Buy and stated that they get 2 shipments of 60 iPads every week and they don't stay in stock more than a couple of hours. Also, I don't live in a "huge" city either (Pensacola).

6. MOROCman macrumors newbie

I don't see yr point , making a screen bigger makes sence (I have an iPad) making a screen smaller and touchscreen is stupid, it's going to be so difficult to use even mr jobs was struggling!!!

7. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

I would prefer the shuffle to the nano. That tiny screen? Looks like an downgrade to me.
    But since :apple: sometimes does something that looks stupid and still sells it anyway I'm not very worried.

If the problem is the space, transfer the music @128kbps to the shuffle,
    with 4gb@128kbps you can stuff a lot of music.

The refurb option also looks good. If you can make the stretch it's a very good player the old nano.
    Most likely you can get cheaper cases for it since the new models are getting released.

So unless you want to have an not very intuitive music player and need the latest and no so greatest
    use the new nano and say sorry to your wallet, else get a refurb nano or the new gen shuffle.
    A note on the shuffle: I've had one but the friggin' thing was so small that was the first gadget and only that I lost:eek:

8. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Buy a shuffle not a Nano or I'll K K K Kill U, convinced yet ?

9. Wallace2 macrumors member

I just ordered a silver shuffle because they nano is $70 overpriced for what it is. The screen really isnt useable so its about the same as a shuffle anyway so saving $100 for pratcially the same thing even though the storage is less.

10. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I convinced myself. I had a last gen nano but sold it a month ago. Instead of paying $150 for a new nano I am going with the $50 shuffle. I tested if I could pare my music and a few podcasts down to 2GB and I could.

11. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If you're going to have to "settle" for a Shuffle, then don't purchase one. Save up and get what you'll be happy with. Otherwise, you'll likely regret purchasing the Shuffle and either return it or purchase a Nano when you DO have the money.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

New nano is just like ipod shuffle with a screen. So, I cannot justify three times more cost. So, no. Unless your wallet is willing to take a hit and pay an early adaptor's fee, then go for shuffle.

13. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

And you conveniently leave out the fact that the Nano has either 4 or 8 times the capacity of a Shuffle.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

And you need to realize the fact that flash memory is very cheap now these days. This isn't 2003. This is 2010. You can get 8GB micro SD card for like 12-13 dollars. In some places, it goes all the way down to 9.99 dollars. Unless ipod nano has 32GB memory, it doesn't justify 3 times more price.

15. billysea macrumors regular

I agree. They strip waaaay too many features of the Nano and now it feels like a Shuffle with a screen. Some people defend and say "who would want to watch video on a screen that small", then don't make it that small! It's not what the Nano is about!

Apple definitely miss the market position of the Nano (a piece of hardware that sit perfectly equal between the Touch and Shuffle) and they swing way too much toward the low-end side in terms of feature. The thing feels very barebone now for the price it ask for, and the new touch-screen interface is not well thought-out (simply taking the icons from iPhone and throw it in here, with a multitouch feature that barely used outside of rotating the screen), and $150-$180 for a device that only play music nowaday?

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The shuffle is durable, though I think if you need people to convince you to get shuffle, I'd just get the nano.

17. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have last years shuffle. I make use of it during those activities that I want music and can't change music or watch video. Also I don't have to worry about dropping it and crakcing a screen.
    What I was hoping for is a nano that can shoot adequate video and still to capture tha moment and provide a playback in a convenience manner. No need for high def just something to capture the moment, a fun device.
    Also great for the gym. try to operate a touch screen with one hand, now try it with the click wheel.

To me the new shuffle is back fom fat camp with a new slimmer physique.
    The nano is the shuffle pro.
    the nano line is dead.
    No sale for me.

18. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I have had my shuffle for a day and it is good with a major annoyance. There is no lock button so it is super easy to hit the skip buttons. This is a big problem when listening to podcasts.

19. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I like my shuffle so far, except the removal of the lock switch so it is really easy to press against something and have it do something random. I use it for running so if I ever break it, it won't be very unbearable since it is only $50 vs $150

20. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

OP, do you have another portable music player, or would this be your only one? If it's your only one get a nano. If your wallet protests and you have a touch or classic or iPhone or something, then get the shuffle for when you need something itty bitty.

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I did today at the store. It was quite easy on that touch screen. Shoot, it was easier to navigate than the click wheel (cause it seems I always go one too far with the clickwheel, it gets kind of frustrating honestly. And if I don't watch it I accidently click the wheel on something I didn't want while trying to get it to highlight what I want).

So... yeah, by that test, imho, the new nano wins :p.

And for when it is awkward for me to look at the nano, I have my Klipsch (sp?) s4i headphones with remote. And I prefer the remote for when I can't look at the screen to the clickwheel as well (Granted I don't really switch around between playlists, I usually just have it play all my songs unless I'm on my motorcycle where I'm going to be stuck regardless with what it is playing as there really is no good way of having control while riding and then I have a playlist of songs I know I wont' want to fast forward through).

22. billysea macrumors regular

If I remember correctly, the 1st and 2nd gen iPod Shuffle allow you to lock by holding the center Play button for few seconds. Did you try that on the 4th gen?