Can you delete a RAW file from a RAW+JPEG photo in the iCloud Photo Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RTF, Apr 24, 2015.

1. RTF macrumors newbie

RTF

That is my problem!
    I've 5-10GB of wasted iCloud storage space used by RAW files I'm not able to delete.

As many modern camera's my camera is able to shoot a photo in RAW+JPEG. So I've got an easy to share file (JPEG) and a RAW file which I can improve.

Tried the folowing:
    • Uploaded a RAW+JPEG photo (2 files imported, 1 photo visible in Photos symbol 'J' is visible)
    • Then I try to delete the RAW file because it uses more space than the JPEG.
    • Can't find a way to do that
    • Delete the photo (also in recently deleted)
    • Upload the single JPEG
    • But then after a minute or so I am again able to select te RAW file of that photo (yes, the one I deleted and did NOT import again)

How can I get rid of these RAW files?

2. DarthVader! macrumors member

DarthVader!

Why not use RAW only, edit them in photos (or any app of your choice) and then share the JPEG?

That's what I do, why consume so much space by having RAW+JPEG images.

3. RTF thread starter macrumors newbie

RTF

Let me explain:
    I used to import RAW+JPEG in iPhoto. A few photos in an album are worthy to enhance in Photoshop/Aperture. Then I'd save them as a JPEG.

Every few weeks/months I clean up the RAW files in iPhoto using a smart album which selects my RAW files. This reduces the size of my iPhoto library drasticly.

(I have also a backup of the RAW files on my Synology NAS)

But now in Photos I can't delete the RAW files of a RAW+JPEG photo (please, if you have the time, test it for yourself and let me know if it's just me).`

I use RAW+JPEG so I can quickly share photos as JPEG. I allways have all the photos of a vacation at hand and only enhance some of the good photos to excellent photos.

4. RTF thread starter macrumors newbie

RTF

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Deleting RAW files is not something that many photographers do. I mean after they cull the images for keepers, the RAWs are kept. Think of them as the old negatives from film days. You want the masters inn case you need to work on the images again.

I never really understood the logic behind the use of RAW+JPG usage and I believe its not fully embraced, so you may not get too many responses. I understand your usage from you post but to be honest your work flow is not that of a typical photographer - I'm not knocking it, just stating that its a little different.

6. RTF thread starter macrumors newbie

RTF

I keep all my originals on my NAS.

The issue remains that precious iCloud storage is used by files I can't delete.

7. nerdbert macrumors regular

nerdbert

I just came back from a vacation and realised that all the photos I imported into my iPad are now Raw+Jpeg in Apple Photos. That also explains why the hotel's wifi was almost unusable (for everyone!) whenever I uploaded a batch to iCloud.

While I agree that it is desirable to keep the raw files I don't think Apple Photos or iCloud is the best place to do so. The raw files are around 30 MB and add up to 7GB. I'm sure most of them will never be touched again.
    Has anyone come up with a solution since this thread was started? I could export and re-import everything, but this is time consuming and I'm sure there will be quirks which I'll have to fix afterwards.

8. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

The Photos library file is not a file. In fact, it's a folder that can be navigated (you can try right clicking it, then "Show package contents"). There are some other folders in it, one of those is the "Masters" folder. This folder contains the original files, both the JPGs and the RAWs. You should be able to delete the RAWs manually and keep the JPGs.
    I'm not 100% sure about this, as I shoot RAW only and I don't have any linked JPG+RAW in my library, it's possible that Photos won't like it and will tell you that files are missing, so if you're gonna try it, try it on a random single file first (delete the RAW, keep the JPG, see how it looks in Photos).
    Just a tip, please, don't screw your library up. :cool: