Can you direct me to the latest iTouch 16GB firmware? Please...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by OhioLefty, Dec 3, 2009.

1. OhioLefty macrumors regular

My nieces are both getting iTouch 16GB refurbs for Christmas and Apple told the parents when they ordered them that it would cost $4.95 to upgrade them to the latest firmware through iTunes. My question is, can I just download the firmware from somewhere and install it myself through iTunes?

My wife and I both have jailbroken 3GS iPhones (16GB) and I upgrade these without any problems or paying through iTunes. I would assume I can select the firmware I want to use and just "Restore" to a new iTouch just like an iPhone.

Can somebody point me to the iTouch firmware? (I think I read that the latest is v3.1.1?)

Thanks in advance...

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

google "ipod touch firmware download" (latest is 3.1.2)

However, it is only $4.95 to get it legitimately, and you only have to pay once to update both ipods.

3. OhioLefty thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Night Spring,

I wasn't trying to imply that I wanted to obtain it illegally, I thought it was because they were "refurbs" and Apple was making my nieces pay for the upgrade (meaning Apple would do it for $4.95). I didn't realize iTouch and iPod users have to pay for upgrades. I thought all firmware upgrades were "free" from Apple, at least they have been for iPhones.

Thanks for your help...

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Firmware upgrades have been free for iPhones, but iPod touch users have had to pay for major upgrades, such as from 2.x to 3.x. Minor updates, such as from 3.0 to 3.1, or 3.1 to 3.1.2, are free. As all 2nd gen touches, new or refurb, come with 2.x, Apple wants you to pay to upgrade to 3.x.

Oh, and if Apple tries to charge $4.95 *each* to upgrade the ipods, don't pay that, get them with 2.x, and upgrade them yourself once you get them. That way you only have to pay once for both ipods.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas