Can you download the new iLife? Or is it only in-store / delivery?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Oct 20, 2010.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'd rather pay / download it right now, rather than swing by the Apple Store after work. Doesn't look available... am I missing it? I know they've offered this option on iWork in the past, but i'm not sure about iLife.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, not available for download. You could wait 90 days, it'll probably be in the App Store. :D

jW

3. Duane1024 macrumors newbie

Seriously?

OK so Apple has decided to not include optical drives by default on its MacBook Air computers. And yet they still offer a product like iLife only on DVD? Apple, what is the rationale? iLife is the only product I can think of today that I can't simply download from a web site. Maybe we have to wait for the Mac App Store for a downloadable version?

4. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

It will be downloadable in the Mac App Store. Each app is clearly shown to be downloadable.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Oh well I stopped by the store after work and picked it up... It's installing now :).

I wonder if the app store will bring a la carte iLife apps...

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well, if you just bough an new air then you have iLife on the USB drive that comes with it, if you have an old one you can upgrade by either using an external drive or by borrowing another computer's optical drive. And if you don't have the ability to do either of those you probably shouldn't be using the air as your only computer.

7. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Makes me think there will be some kind of content control on the Mac App Store - i.e. that you won't have access to the DMG file (or similar). Thus, you can't copy the DMG to bittorrent/DVD and share it all with your friends.

If that's not the concern here, then I can't understand Apple's faliure to provide a download version...