Can you give advice on the best RAM to buy and how much? (Apple store was useless)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by choptalk, Dec 26, 2011.

1. choptalk macrumors newbie

Bought the latest 17 MBP about a month ago but I only have 4GB of RAM.

I dont want to pay what apple is charging for ram so I need to know whats the best place to get ram.

I would really like to get 16 gigs if that can be done, but according to the snobby people at the apple store I talked to the other day they told me you can only go up to 8.

i hope the apple store in my town is not representative of way most apple stores are.

Anyway, I have never upgraded ram before.
    I hope I dont destroy a 2800 computer over trying to save 200 bucks, lol.

But the most important thing is getting good ram.

Please tell me who to order from, and if it is indeed true that you cant get 16gb.

thanks much.

great site.
    just found this place.

2. choptalk thread starter macrumors newbie

3. simsaladimbamba

I am not working for Apple, I don't even live in a city with an Apple Store, but with several other better alternatives.
    But if you know how to search this message board or the world wild wet, you can find answers yourself too.

4. choptalk thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the crucial test and just made my order for 2x8.

It also suggested that I should add a SSD.

I think I read somewhere that you can have a standard drive and an SSD on a MBP.

Is this easy to install?

Would adding just 64G of SSD be worth over 100?

Thanks

5. simsaladimbamba

An SSD will tremendously help with starting applications and accessing files.
    I had a 60 GB SSD in my 2009 MBP, though it was a bit small for all my applications and the temporary files, as I have 12 to 16 GB of data just in my Applications folder.
    Upon upgrading the SSD to a 120 GB model, I also bought a data doubler (Optibay adapter) to have the SSD in place of the optical disk drive (ODD) and a 500 GB HDD in the HDD bay.
    Depending on what SSD you get, you might have some issues due to some firmware or drivers, as my S-ATA 6.0 Gbps SSD would only be recognised as S-ATA 1.5 Gbps device, thus seriously hampering its speed. An update fixed that though, but it took a while.

Anyway, you can have an SSD and an internal HDD at the same time in your MBP, just look for "data doubler / serial-ata adapter / optibay" via the Advanced Search or Google.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

What do you expect? They can only tell you what the official specifications of the machine are.

Unlikely, but possible.

Try read the forum perhaps?

7. Swishax3 macrumors newbie

I usually go to OWC when I want to know what RAM to get for my MBP or when I had a Mac Pro. They have a pretty decent process of finding out what is best so maybe check there.