Can you guys convince me to get an iPod Touch over an iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Robertson1993, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Robertson1993 macrumors member

Robertson1993

.....because I can't decide!! I don't now if I want the iPhone but can't decide between them as alot of people actually prefer the Touch.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

depends really I mean if you already have a phone that is doing u fine in the field of phone use then u could save yourself a lot of money (in the long run) and get an ipod.

I have a touch and wouldn't mind actually having an iPhone but cause I'm stuck in my contract for a good few months I'm just gonna ride things out till the newer iPhone comes out

3. Resist macrumors 68030

The AT&T iPhone pricing plan sucks and is more expensive than most. The iPhone has less memory than what you can get with the Touch.

4. cfs macrumors 6502a

Again, it depends what you will use it for. You should measure your needs versus want and see what outweighs what. However, if you can afford it and money is no issue, than get it.

I was going to purchase one but decided against it and have a Touch instead.
    Although i am finished with my 2 year contract with Sprint and am now month to month with no contract, I still opted against the iphone. The mail reason was because For the Sprint Family Plan with 550 minutes and 300 sms, it costs me 59.99 per month. Granted I don't have what the iphone offers but I am really not in a job or daily life situation where I need to be online 24/7, take a picture and immediately send it to someone. I can do this at work or when I get home. In addition, being able to get online all the time is not healthy for me. I am an addict enough.

In addition, I like having a separate media/pda so I know my phone will always be full of battery.

This is all my opinion.

-cfs

5. Dudeman486 macrumors member

I totally agree! with the new, reduced battery life of the iphone 3g, i'd be hesitant to use the extra features as much as I normally would as my battery would drain quicker and I would have a greater chance of being stranded without a phone. I would have no guilt about draining a touch however...

the only REAL differences between the iphone and the touch (excluding hardware features like a mic, gps, etc) are the phone and 3g. that means the main difference between the touch and the iphone is the iphone's ability to call and get data on-the-go. now if getting data whenever and wherever you want is important to you, get the iphone. otherwise, use a touch/phone combo and carry two gadgets.

of course, i may be biased because i can't stomach the 70$ per month contract. :mad:

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The iPhone is a phone.
    The Touch is not.

For me it was a no-brainer. I didn't need a cell phone, and if I had, AT&T has no service in my town. I got a Touch, and my Phone is an Instinct with Sprint service which IS in my town.

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I recommend both. I've got a 16GB iPod Touch and will add a 16GB iPhone soon. Yes, they are similar devices but neither is really a replacement for the other IMO.

However, if you have to choose between the two because of financial constraints then all you have to ask yourself is if you really need the 3G data, camera and phone and moreover if you can afford the service contract.

If not then get a Touch but I would wait until September to see if they come out with a 2nd gen model.