Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Can you hear the "higher quality" of the new DRM-free tracks

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Haven't compared yet

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Firstly, I've done a quick scan through the iTunes forum and I can't see any threads like this, so apologies if it's already been done!

So: can you hear the supposed "improved quality" from the higher bitrate on these new DRM-free tracks, compared to the old 128Kbps versions (obviously, compare the same tracks ;))? If you can/can't, mention what type of speakers you're using.

I've only got one track available for upgrade, and haven't upgraded it yet, because I can't really hear the difference on my PowerBook's built-in speakers. It might be different when I go home and use my Harmon-Kaardon sound sticks though - the PowerBook speakers do lack quite a lot in the low bass and high treble, which is also where I found the old iTunes DRM-enabled purchases lacked.

As a side note, the whole DRM/DRM-free thing isn't too much of an issue to me, I've never really needed a non-DRM free track yet.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
There's absolutely no way you are going to hear the difference on laptop speakers. Use a real hi-fi or decent headphones. I'm not even sure those computer speakers will show any difference.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
There's absolutely no way you are going to hear the difference on laptop speakers. Use a real hi-fi or decent headphones. I'm not even sure those computer speakers will show any difference.

I am fully aware of that, as you would notice if you read the second half of my post above. I have some decent speakers at home, but I can't bring them to uni with me.

I am simply asking whether or not people are noticing the higher quality with their setup, as this was one of the things advertised with the new DRM-free tracks. A simple poll - nothing more, nothing less.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Yes...well atleast between audio tracks with the same specs as the DRM music, and DRM-Free Music. There was this thing on digg.com, it would play song twice in both format, then you had to pick. I could tell the difference like 2/3 times.

I though it was worth the upgrade just to drop DRM, and the improved sound was an added bonus

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland

256kbps has better stereo imaging. It's very noticeable if you're used to really listen to music. Even laptop speakers reveal it nicely, but then again, many times you happen to be in the "perfect spot" when you're using your 15/17-incher...

The bottom end is also very much improved, but that you won't be hearing via laptop speakers ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.