Can you help me correctly hook up my MBP to a Dell Ultrasharp 24"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tosolu3, Jul 3, 2010.

1. tosolu3 macrumors newbie

I just got a 15" MBP and would like to hook it up to a 24" Dell Ultrasharp I inherited. However, I know nothing about the button settings on the monitor.

When I connect the two, the MBP background shows up on the Dell monitor but the icons that run along the bottom of the MBP screen are cut off. I'm assuming I need to change the monitor settings but don't know what I'm doing.

Can anyone help? Thanks very much!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement gives you the option to MIRROR the 15" MBP's display, which probably is turned off, which is okay. The Dock only appears on the primary monitor, for which you have to drag the Menu Bar to the second screen.

[​IMG]

And make sure, you set the external display's resolution to the native resolution of that display.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. tosolu3 thread starter macrumors newbie