Can you install a sound blaster Live! (or whatever they are these days?) in a pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by akm3, Apr 23, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I know you wouldn't be able to use it in Mac, but I'm curious if you could install whatever the current sound blaster live is into a Mac pro to use it in Windows and possibly use it's joystick port (do they still have those or is everything USB now?) under windows.

I don't even have a Mac Pro, if I did, I probably wouldn't do this...I'm just curious.

2. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I just installed the PCIe SB X-Fi in mine and it works fine in Vista. They don't make drivers for OSX unfortunately.
    Alan

3. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

See what stinks is, it's all high quality audio outputs now with Windows. I can play all my old school games like Police Quest and Sam & Max, but there is no sound cause it's looking for Sound Blaster. I too would like to know how to get the sound back as well.

As for the joystick, I will be getting the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. That now has USB. Thing rocks.

4. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well it sounds like you can just pop any slot compatible card in there and you are good to go! That is good news.

So OSX will just ignore that which it can't use/understand? It doesn't cause any performance troubles in OSX I hope.

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I think that there is no alternative pciexpress sound card compatable with the 2008 mac pro at this time. I sadly sold my Xonar D2X because of this. It also requires a floppy type power plug which would take some customizing inside the case anyway. It strikes me a odd that the mac pro is stuck with a lesser realtek sound solution. Hopefully someone will come out with a pciexpress sound card suitable with mac drivers.

If anyone knows of a better sound solution please post it.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

OS X just ignores it. It needs to be pci-e which narrows it down. Creative makes an x-fi card which works in the Mac Pro.

7. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

It's the XiFi Xtreme Audio PCi Express card and it is a budget card at best. Probably not any better then the built in realtek map pro. In any case there still are NO drivers for use for mac with this card and don't seem to be any in the works. Pretty much stuck with the onboard sound.