Can you Install a ssd into the 2011 mackbook pro if it doesn't have ssd already?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ecstacy2012, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ecstacy2012 macrumors member

I'm buying a 2011 macbook pro and I was wondering is it like last year where if you didn't buy the ssd from apple you cannot install your own ssd?

2. digitalfuzion macrumors newbie

You most certainly can install and SSD regardless if yours came with an apple factory SSD or not.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yes you can and it will most likely be cheaper than getting it through Apple

Check out newegg

4. ecstacy2012 thread starter macrumors member

AWESOME! the 2010 model had it where if you didn't buy the freakin 256gb ssd you couldn't put in an ssd. Has anyone actually bought it without ssd and put one in? Also can you get it without ssd and put in the data doubler to do dual ssd's? also anyone done this? thanks for the replies!!

5. rebby macrumors 6502

You could do it the 2010 model as well. Don't know why you couldn't.

You can also go the Optibay route if you want and run dual SSD or, like I did, with an SSD and a traditional spindle.

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Nyet

There was no such limitation.

It's just a SATA port dude. You plug it in.

It doesn't care if it's HDD or SDD.

As for dual SSD yeah that's fast. And do-able just as easily.

7. ecstacy2012 thread starter macrumors member

a couple people last year said it wasn't!! this is what you get for not checking yourself. thats good news then!! yea I got two 240gb owc mercury pro ssd's I'm going to do in date doubler with software RAID 0. I get about 300/250 read write and with the new 6gb sata drives I think it should improve a bit!