Can you keep unlimited data on Verizon still?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sclawis300, Sep 13, 2013.

1. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

So I didn't upgrade last time but I am planning to get the 5S. I have 4 lines on my plan and 2 are available for an upgrade. I don't want to lose unlimited data so I am upgrading on line 3 and then I am transferring the new phone to my line. Does this still work?

2. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

Yes.

3. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

great thanks. Hadn't looked at it in a year and didn't know if Verizon had changed their policy.

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I'm pretty sure you'll have to pay full price for the phone in order to retain your unlimited data plan.

5. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

Nope. The Verizon Loophole still works.

6. ghoti macrumors member

This is great to know. I am going to upgrade mine and my wife's iPhone 4's but we want to keep our unlimited data.

I have a huge question that I can't quite get sorted out, though. Do I have to activate the 2 lines with dumb phones and *then* upgrade to the new phones (5C for her, 5S for me) and swap to the unlimited lines? Could I just outright activate 2 new lines with new iPhones, and then downgrade the new lines to dumb phones and swap the new phones to the unlimited lines?

Simplified:
    Scenario #1)
    Activate 2 new dummy lines with dumb flip-phones --> use upgrades on dummy lines to get new iphones --> re-activate dumb flip-phones on dummy lines --> activate new iPhones onto the unlimited lines --> do the happy dance

Scenario #2)
    Activate 2 new dummy lines with new iPhones --> downgrade dummy lines with dumb flip-phones --> activate new iPhones onto the unlimited lines --> do the happy dance

Do both scenarios above work for the loophole or just #1?
    (I do realize I will have to pay $20/mo more + tax, of course, because I would then have 2 active dumb-phone numbers on my account -- but I would always get to use these lines every 2 years to upgrade my iPhones without losing my unlimited data, right? (Provided Verizon doesn't yank it out from underneath us all by then))

7. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Just to get this straight so I don't screw anything up. I was going to use Verizon Edge but apparently its not available if you transfer an upgrade. Verizon neglects to state this in their TOS, you don't find out until you go to actually sign up for it and the option is not there for you to select. So the upgrade I have is actually on another smartphone line with tiered data (my line is unlimited).

I need to buy the 5S on the tiered line, and when I get the phone, activate it on that line. Then I need to deactivate it from that line, and reactivate the phone that was originally on it. Then I can activate the 5S to my unlimited line, and I should still keep unlimited since the contract was not renewed on my line, correct? I can do this all online too, right? I'm not comfortable doing it over the phone or in store with a rep, because I feel like they will pull some shenanigans and take me off unlimited without telling me.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Yes. As far as verizon is concerned, they just don't want to subsidize the cost of the phone on that line that has unlimited data. Buying the phone outright, versus moving the phone from another of your lines, versus buying the phone "used" from someone else who used a verizon upgrade to get it is the same exact thing to Verizon, at the end of the day.

As long as Verizon lets you change handsets around and keep unlimited data, they will let you acquire the handset using any method possible minus using an upgrade on the unlimited data line itself.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

The loophole for keeping unlimited data still works.

Use the transfer upgrade option to a dummy line or line that has limited data and activate new phone on that dummy line/tiered data line.

Than take sim out of new phone. Put ur sim (with unlimited data) into new phone.

U are good to go

Remember to either take data off flip phone line if u used the flip phone.

10. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I never really understood why this is a 'loophole.' Sure you are still getting unlimited data, but you also are still stuck with an additional phone line that's costing you $10 a month. They are still getting more of your money... $240 plus tax over the life of the contract for something that you never had to pay for before.

Doesn't sound like a loophole, it sounds like they've got you by the short hairs either way. Still cheaper than buying a phone outright I suppose. I guess it's whatever helps us sleep at night.

11. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

What if you already have a existing line that does not have unlimited rate and you upgrade that line with a new iPhone 5S and then switch that phone with your old one on your unlimited line?

12. ghoti macrumors member

As far as I can tell, that method still works.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

It is a loophole. You aren't understanding it correctly (trust me, it took me a while to figure it out as well).

Line 1 (unlimited data) eligible for upgrade
    Line 2 (tiered data or no data/flip phone) NOT eligible for an upgrade

1. transfer "upgrade" from line 1 to line 2

In essence, you will get the iphone 5S on subsidized pricing on Line 2 (saving unlimited data on Line 1 (unlimited line that was eligible for upgrade).

But this is where the "loophole" is:
    Line 1 has it's contract date reset for 24 months

Line 2 will be elgible for full subsidy upgrade at it's normal time.

Get it? That's how the loophole works. So if Line 2 isn't eligible for upgrade now and you transfer upgrade from Line 1 to line 2. You still keep your original line 2 upgrade date (say it's Jan 2014). You will still have your Jan 2014 upgrade date in tact even after transferring the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2 and using it on the iPhone 5S on Friday.

14. br1407 macrumors newbie

This is essentially my question too, and I know it's been asked in one variation or another a bunch of times, but obviously I want to be sure I have it completely correct before following through, or else it's just a huge inconvenience with the undesired end result.

So to be clear, if one line on a family plan is NOT eligible for an upgrade and already has a tiered data plan, and another line has an unlimited plan and is eligible for an upgrade, I can:

1) Transfer the upgrade to the line with the tiered plan
    2) Have them purchase the 5S at the subsidized price
    3) Activate the phone
    4) Switch back to their old phone 2 days later
    5) Activate the 5S on the unlimited line that gave away their upgrade

Doing this won't cost me my unlimited data? Verizon doesn't notice that I gave away my upgrade but then still upgraded my phone a week later?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, it just doesn't make sense to me why something like this would work if they're trying to get people off unlimited. It seems easy enough to just do this if you're on a family plan.

15. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Oh I get it. I used my mom's upgrade to get an iP5... She's old and won't ever get a new phone. I put it on my line, and I still have unlimited. I've had the same plan with verizon for a VERY long time now.

I guess that's a loophole, but to me, it's just using the upgrade on a different line and extending it's contract. What I really don't understand is somebody buying a new line to do this. Semantics.

16. resom macrumors member

I have a similar question

I currently have 2 unlimited data that both have upgrades available.
    I am trying to upgrade to the 5s and keep my unlimited data but the 2nd line does not use much data so it would be fine to take away that line's unlimited data. So I am assuming I would use Line #2 to buy my 5s, activate on that line, and then reactivate on my line. How long until does the phone need to stay activated before switching lines?

Would I still have my own upgrade available once the phone is transferred to my line? I just want to make sure I would be able to transfer my upgrade eventually so that line #2 can get a new phone at some point. But I wasn't sure how often you could upgrade the same line.

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

No. You still don't get it. That's why I said you have to think about it.

You are really using the unlimited line "eligibility" for full upgrade. That way the flip phone line still has its own upgrade later if you want. You are merely transferring the unlimited data lines upgrade to the flip phone.

After you do the transfer and upgrade. You still keep the flip phones original upgrade date. It could be next month or whenever its eligible

Your way (using your moms upgrade) isn't the real loophole.

18. s54 macrumors regular

This makes no sense.

This "loopholes" shouldn't really be called a loophole, since it only works for and benefits those who have more than 1 line. If you're like me with one line, there's no such loophole. You have to buy the phone at full price to retain unlimited data. Period.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Hmm.

So you have to temporarily put a data plan on the flip-phone just to upgrade, right?

Then remove it after you transfer the new phone to the unlimited data number?

20. cnotes2019 Suspended

Correct

21. barr377 macrumors newbie

Does this work through the apple store too or do you have to buy it directly from verizon?

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

It must be done online. Do not let an agent touch your lines. Do transfer online via my verizon sign in.

----------

No. U can still benefit by adding a line rather than paying full price. iPhone $650 full price vs $199 plus $30 activation plus $10 flip phone x24 months. $230 plus $240 in total cost to keep extra line is around $470. Which is still cheaper than the $650 u have to pay.

23. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I do get it. That thing with my mother's phone was just my personal example. I know you still get to use that upgrade with the flip phone from then on, but if you don't have/need a flip phone line, you still have to pay an additional $10 a month for it. But again, it's cheaper than paying for a phone outright I suppose.

24. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was under the impression that this does not work. Once you use the upgrade from the unlimited line it was supposed to get rid of your unlimited data. Even if you used it in a separate line. If that works that is cool. Wonder who had the guts to try that first.

25. Darkprod macrumors newbie

Ok so a quick question about a Verizon upgrade.

This morning at 3:01 am est I upgraded my wife's number (Line 1 - iphone 4)to get a 5s at the subsidized price. Ship date is 9/24. Both lines have unlimited data but she doesn't use much data at all, so no big deal putting her on a tiered plan. On the other hand, my data usage is much higher (Line 2 -iphone 5) and I need to keep my unlimited data.

My question is, when the 5s arrives how do I get it on my line (Line 2)?Can I just activate it on my line ? Do I need to activate it on her line first? Once I get the 5s on my line I also need to get my iPhone 5 on her line,as we are getting rid of her iPhone 4.