Can you listen to music On PS3 all the time?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by canes960, Dec 12, 2009.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

I know you can in certain games and while not doing anything just on XMB. But can you on like Call Of Duty MWII on gameplay. Is there a hack for this?

2. sypherod macrumors newbie

I think you're out of luck. There's no hack (that I know of) that will allow you to listen to music all the time. Like you said, it's only with certain games and while doing some stuff in the xmb. Until the developers support this feature in their games, it's wishful thinking. And as far as I know, Modern Warfare 2 does not support this feature.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

4. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Not that you have enough hard drive space to put the music on... Using an external on a 360 is the hardest thing to do I'll tell you that.

I never play my music in other games though, I just play it off my computer while having the music volume silenced in the game.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Connect360? ;D

Besides, it all depends on what hard drive you have, no? I can fit all my gaming saves and stuff onto a 20GB hard drive, so I suspect if I had, say, a 120GB hard drive, I could fit all my music onto it quite easily, with 10GB to spare!

Although having to burn all these to disc is a pain... (If anybody knows of an easier way to transfer music onto a 360 that'd be great)

6. No ice please macrumors 6502

stream with windows media center.

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I never really understood the point of changing the game's music. Developers spend a large amount of time and money producing scores that compliment the gameplay. Why would i want to replace all of their hard work with something else? Its like buying a car with custom-machined wheels just to replace them with hubcaps.

If its really that important just turn off the in-game music via the game's menu and turn on your stereo. Problem solved.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bingo! Music is such an integral part to a game. I'm surprised to hear people actually turn it off. I wonder how much of the precisely etched atmosphere in Bioshock or Shadow of the Colossus would be lost with Timmy Mallet or Cassetteboy playing over the top, or how awkward it would be to mute external music during parts where the music ducks out.

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I guess I'm just not an avid gamer then. I'm a first and foremost a musician - nothing else comes above music for me.

10. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Im a musician as well, which is why i appreciate the music developers put in the game. It would be weird playing LittleBigPlanet while listening to Protest The Hero or killing the flood in Halo while jamming to Andy McKee.

Certain genres, like racing and sports, dont rely on the music to create an atmosphere so i would understand playing your own music instead (though i dont play sports games and i turn music off while im racing) but most of the time music is integral to immersion.

11. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I don't often listen to my own music when playing games. It's when I have beaten the game and am trying to get all the achievements or extra goals - that music is a great way to keep me going. I especially listen to my own music in games like the Elder Scrolls and Racing games.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same, I'm also a game composer. Music is specially produced for games to fit the scene, the tone of the game, or like a film to evoke an emotion before an event. Surely you must know that as a musician ;). Do you play music over films too?
    Racing games mostly use pop music, same goes for almost all sport sim games so that's okay :p.

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Touché.

However films are different for me. I get more into films, whereas games are just a leisurely way for me to pass the time. Films are also more sociable, watching them with family or friends is great, and I agree - Music really does make a huge difference to a movie.

Just now thinking about which games I play music over, it's Halo Wars, GTAIV, Skate... In fact, thinking about the games I play at all, they generally don't have the sort of music used to fit scenes, rather just background music. The only game I don't listen to music over is Call Of Duty, which does have a lot of speech and music going on during gameplay. Perhaps it is subconscious, maybe I am choosing not to listen to music because of the ingame sound. Perhaps I just don't listen to it all too hard. Who knows.

Also I believe what I meant by my last post is that nothing comes above popular (i.e. songs written by bands for people to listen to) music, whereas I would class the music in a game as.. game music. I often sit on my sofa with both my Xbox controller and my guitar, and switch between them every so often.