"Can you make calls? Can you browse? Then who cares?" Watch this...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iammike1, Jul 21, 2010.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRkOHI2deo

No Bumper = No Signal
    Bumper = 5 Bars
    Bumper + Extreme Coverage = 4 Bars

Seriously, I'm a fanboy myself but the distances people are going to defend this issue is getting insane! I love my iPhone 4...but I'll be using it in a case because their is an obvious problem with bare-handing the phone.

2. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

So obvious but still so odd to me everyone cannot reproduce this...I can't

3. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

It most likely varies from person to person based on how conductive your skin is, how humid it is, etc etc.

I'm sure that not everyone sees the problem in day to day use either because of a massively strong signal or maybe their skin is very dry, who knows...but it's definitely a problem as shown in my video...and the case performs a massive fix.

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

5. feddy84 macrumors member

have u tried when u only have 3 bars?

6. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I moved right on to using a case and am more then happy with my iPhone 4....but I get tired of seeing the currently common mantra of "can you make calls? then who cares" and "can you browse? then who cares".

Everyone should care...but whudevah.

7. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I have tried when I have 1 or 2 bars...it never goes to no signal

8. feddy84 macrumors member

isnt a question about no signal. does it drop a bar when you bridge the antennas. without a case that is. (lower left corner)

9. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Dropping "a bar" when gripped would never have been a problem for the iPhone. The problem is that is loses a significant amount of signal seemingly when held only by certain people.

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

A case is just a fact of life with the iPhone 4. Would I rather go without a case. Yep. But I'd rather have a case and have the iP4 than no iP4.

And that guy has hairy hands.

11. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

It can drop but I disagree with you...who cares it is droping from 5 to 2 or 4 to 1...as long as I have always 1 bar I can make/receive calls and use data. I have not seen any differences in reception between having 5 or 1 bar...people reporting the issue care most about loosing their signal and not having a drop from 3 to 1 bar!

12. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

lol, when I was 18, picking up a girl at her house for a first date, the girls niece ran up and goes "he has hairy knuckles!"...true story. :)

I'm with you though, I'd much rather have the iPhone 4 with a case then anything else without even though my iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS all were naked the entire time I owned them.

13. feddy84 macrumors member

most people pre 4.01 apple revealed their previous cover up for iphone 3gs and corrected the signal bars.
    and you see you have the problem but your signal might be cleared in your area or whatever. or diff body chemistry(no water maybe hehe) that makes ure drop LESS then others. but you still have the problem..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/iphone-4-redux-analyzing-apples-ios-41-signal-fix

explains the signal issue with 4.01

14. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Ironically, in my first vid, I was dropping about what Anandtech predicted, ~25dBm but today, it takes a lot more then 25dBm to drop from 5 to No Signal. Kinda surprised me!

Yet another reason I'm completely convinced that the problem varies from person to person due to their personal conductivity levels.

EDIT: To be specific, the lowest dBm I could have at 5 bars is -76. It requires lower then -121 to go No Signal. That's a drop of 45 dBm MINIMUM!