Can you mount a mini on the back of a Cinema display?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by chriskzoo, Apr 29, 2009.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Whenever we upgrade the Mini to an iMac, I have this vision of getting a vertical mount to hang our 20" Cinema Display under the counter in the "bill paying/desk area" of our kitchen. The issue I have is that I'm looking for something that will hang over the back of the display that you can hold the Mini in that does not take up the screws needed for the mount.

I'm thining of bending some Lexan to fit it in (see picture) unless anyone knows of something similar already out there to purchase.

Then I can just get a wireless keyboard/mouse and it will be a clutter-free area.

Attached Files:

2. FoxHoundADAM macrumors regular

I've seen people mount a mini to the back of the monitor before. Not specificly to the CD but I don't see why you couldn't. Although, why not just get an iMac at that point?

3. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

The iMac will be in the office, this is just to re-purpose my Mini when that happens. That way this can act as the central calendar/email node/etc. in the kitchen.

4. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

You have an area to pay bills in your kitchen? Baller!

We just eat and watch TV. Oh, and the lab sleeps there.

The mini+ACD isn't an elegant solution, and I think that's what you're looking for. I guess it could work, as long as you can't see the back of the monitor, because that would defeat the purpose of trying to hiding the mini.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are VESA monitor stands with capacity to hold other items but the ones with high weight capacity are expensive.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

7. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, good thought.

I have to take some measurements because I'm not sure how far under the cabinet the display will sit. If the top of the display only like 4" below, that wouls be a perfect solution and still hide all the cables and still give easy access to the drive.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

9. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

I just gotta point out that an ACD seems like an awful expensive thing to keep in a kitchen.

10. dentedG4 macrumors member

Sell mini and cd for imac

if you sell both your display and mini you could probably buy a refurb or used imac that would be more powerful than your mini and (and a lot more usable, considering you wont have to reach around and under your display to access the optical drive and ports).

11. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

or buy a macbook that would be able to work in the kitchen and anywhere else in your house/the world.

12. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    This is what rocks about this site, ask for help and it comes your way, you peeps rocks!;)

14. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, lots of options. I'll have to look into what I can get for the Minis and Display when the time comes to unload them and get a refurb iMac.

15. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If you want to mount a mac mini onto an ACD then just use some fairly decent double sided tape - e.g. mounting board tape. I used some of that to attach my iSight before I got a magnetic mount. Comes off easy with some alcohol. Mac minis aren't very heavy.

Mind you, as others have mentioned, you'd likely be better off selling the mini and display and getting an iMac instead.