Can you now talk and surf on Verizon with the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imeth, Sep 19, 2012.

1. imeth macrumors regular

Will Sprint and Verizon be allowed to do this? AT&T had this feature for awhile, it would be a deal breaker to switch to Verizon since AT&T pulling the FaceTime mobile crap for me.

2. nabechu macrumors 6502

Nope

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/apple-iphone-5-review/

The choice of CDMA vs. GSM will likely come down to which carrier you're on, and which carrier you'd like to be on. In the US, it's naturally AT&T offering the GSM model, Sprint and Verizon with CDMA. Beyond the availability of bands, an important distinction is the ability to do simultaneous voice and data. None of the iPhone 5 models can handle Voice over LTE, so when doing voice calling the phone falls back to either GSM or CDMA, and CDMA doesn't support simultaneous voice and data. So, if you absolutely need to talk and surf at the same time, you're stuck on AT&T in the US.

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

4. DArsenault macrumors regular

Neither of these things are deal breakers for me. I have used facetime about 3 times in 2 years, pretty much just to check it out. Also I could never think of a time I would use it away from my house, I don't see myself walking and using FaceTime.
    On the other hand browsing the web and talking at the same time, is something I do use but the ability to do so wouldn't make make me switch carriers.
    I have Att and am staying with them due to being grandfathered in on an unlimited plan. I guess you just have decide which of these are more important. Other factors to consider could be data plans, LTE coverage, phone coverage in your home, work etc (I still know people on all three carriers who don't get service in their own homes)

Also you may want to read this http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/09/factime-fcc-flap/ which could have an impact on the ability to use this feature over normal data networks in the future.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It could if/when they switch phone calls to LTE, thought that looks to be a ways down the road.

6. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I have read that it will not happen even then.