Can you or can you not update the AMD Catalyst in Bootcamp ? (Early 2011 MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imperialnavy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. imperialnavy, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

imperialnavy macrumors regular

Hi,
    i have been trying to find an answer to this, but i cant find anything anywhere..
    I am trying to update the AMD 6750 Display driver to 11.2 or even 11.4 (early preview was released 2 days ago), but i can never update the driver, as it states that my own driver (version 8.812) is the newest. As it turns out, 8.812 is included in Catalyst 11.1--- so how can this be ? I would like to install the newest driver so i can not only enjoy a significantly better framerate (Dragon Age II for instance) but also be able to overclock my card a little bit..

So did anyone manage to get 11.2 or 11.4 to install ?

Here is a link for anyone willing to try it as well :
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst114earlypreview.aspx

2. C01E macrumors member

C01E

Notebook GFX cards run into this issue all the time... Simply put, I'd bet ATI has not added the proper information into the drivers to support the MBP cards being they are still so new...

Long Story Short, We get to wait a few months for them to catch up (If they do at all, Sometimes companies like AMD or Nvidia will Never add a card type into their drivers, Forcing users to find custom solutions...)

3. imperialnavy thread starter macrumors regular

Well with Nvidia you could at least swap the Nvdisp.ini...i suppose there is nothing like this with ATI´s drivers ? On the AMD site, they actually offer drivers specifically for the Macbook Pro (Bootcamp drivers)...these however are the same like the ones included on the Snow Leopard DVD. Since their last update it has been quite a while...one can only pray that they upgrade those drivers.. The way i see it is, if the usual Catalyst never gets updated to accept the MBP, then overclocking it will be pretty much impossible as the bootcamp drivers dont support it. :(

4. superkrups20056 macrumors member

5. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Complete 11.2 package will install and update the driver but it made no difference to performance:

http:\\www2.ati.com/DRIVERS/mobile/11-2_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

Not tried 11.4 yet.

6. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Complete 11.2 install will NOT install the correct driver version. It refuses to install the graphics driver. You can install the 11.2 CCC, but the driver will not install. It even says in the Release Notes that the 11.2 driver is not compatible with any notebook that uses Graphics Switching which the 2011 MBP uses.

7. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Worked on mine. You need to use the link above because the catalyst package offered when you search on the AMD site does not include the newer driver, and the separate driver package offered just won't install.

The newer driver made no discernible difference to performance btw, the AMD driver that comes with bootcamp works fine.