Can you post Optibays you guys know of? (I have two)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Jul 19, 2009.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

2. watergun macrumors regular

I have the MCE Optibay just because they were the first to come out with it. I personally think it is overpriced. Assuming both work similarly, I would get whatever is cheaper.

3. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Any idea what the weight difference would be between the unibody before and after the exchange? I.e. what is the weight of an optical drive compared to a hard drive+OptiBay?

4. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Habe any of you guys actually installed one of these yourselves? Is it hard? Is there an installation video anywhere that would give me an idea?

5. p3ncil macrumors regular

There's not much difference with the optical drive removed imo. The difference is so little I don't think you'll be feeling it.

Though it's true that I'm not a optibay user. But I DIYed my own "optibay" But, I suppose cables are way lighter than a metal holder.

[​IMG]

It's pretty easy to install.
    Just unscrew your optical drive and the optibay just fits one way. So it's a pretty simple D.I.Y

To add on...

The optibay is a great solution for you if the 1.7 EFI firmware is bugging you and you are stuck with a un-usable SSD.
    The optical drive SATA port works fine with my blue WD scorpio and Intel X25M.

6. hashholly macrumors 6502

Are you currently running the 1.7 firmware? I ask because i've heard of people with the 1.7 firmware having slowdowns of the SSD if its in the optibay, and im considering a dual ssd solution.

7. p3ncil macrumors regular

I suppose I'm not affected?
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    p3ncil

8. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

do you guys know any speed tests w/ dual HDDs and how they compare to SSD?

9. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

This tests Dual SSDs and Dual Momentus 7200.4 drives in a Raid-0 configuration. Insane speeds on the Dual SSDs :)

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp13.html

10. p3ncil macrumors regular

oh yes btw, anyone here has the opibay's external enclosure for the superdrive?
    possible to post some pictures?

11. FrenchKheldar macrumors member

Question for you guys, I was actually checking the Optibay on MCE today, and I was wondering if it could give me a SATA drive on my PB G4 on top of the regular IDE one? I think it does and that means a small SSD upgrade could be really beneficial no? What do you think? Yes the cost probably does not make much sense since bare SATA bay is $129 and I have to add $220 for the OCZ Vertex 2 60GB, but I'm already buying a new battery for my beloved G4 so I might go the whole nine yards and breath some new life into it...

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

They do make IDE versions for Pre-Unibody Macbooks(pros) and pre-2009 Mac Minis. They also make IDE SSDs too. Too expensive still. Probably would be nice performance with dual SSD in RAID0 setup on an older Powerbook. I thought about that too and thought about the possible increase in battery life and less weight/heat :p.

13. tblin macrumors newbie

newmodeus works perfect!

I installed the newmodeus OBHD9-SATA-SATA-B in my Macbook Pro 13" just about 5 mins ago, works without a hitch and build quality is excellent.

The only thing the way the tray is built, the labeled side (towards keyboard), not sure if there'll be any issue covering the vent hole.

So go for it and pocket the saving.

14. FrenchKheldar macrumors member

Is that the latest 13" MBP? So it works without problem there? Cool... It looks like my PB is dead, so I might go with the combo SSD-HDD on my new MBP... Was the installation difficult or only a couple screws to remove? What did you do with the SuperDrive?