Can you purchase and iphone off ebay and have it factory unlocked yourself?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Luche, May 24, 2011.

1. Luche macrumors newbie

I'm new to this and can't afford to buy and iphone 4 directly from verizon or at&t, so I was just wondering if you can buy one from amazon or ebay that isn't unlocked yet and call verizon or at&t and have them unlock it...

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

First, Verizon iphones cant be unlocked since theyre CDMA

Second, no att will not unlock their iPhones.

3. iLoyal macrumors regular

I mean, if you have a tight budget or don't want to spend too much money on a phone, best option is to buy a GSM(AT&T) iP4 for cheap (300-350) and buy a gevey/turbo sim to unlock it. Unless you want to spend about $800-$900 for a Factory unlock one.

4. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

best option is to buy a GSM(AT&T) iP4 for cheap (300-350)

I doubt you can get an iPhone 4 in good condition for $300 unless you spend a lot of time searching. $350 is a little easier to find but if you want a phone in a really good condition, you probably need to spend at least $400.

5. simple20 macrumors regular

Factory unlocked means... it came from the factory like that.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Factory unlocked phones are not cheap. In countries where they are available, it's sold at a non-contract price.
    You might want to try finding someone selling a carrier unlocked phone. Carrier and factory unlocks are permanent.

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

First of all, AT&T is lock to AT&T and they don't do unlock. No one can factory unlock their own iphone. If they can then what's the point of having locked iphone?

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The only way to carrier unlock a phone is to add the IMEI# to Apple's database where it will be whitelisted as permanently unlocked. Only the carriers have access to this. And well... the whole April $180 unlock fiasco.